Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   the end is nigh (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/40066-end-nigh.html)

Damo69 08-02-2011 07:26 AM

the end is nigh

Ok so on my way home last night my piggy went into limp mode when i shifted into 6th doing about 110 kph.

engine lights on

sat there idled between 2500 - 3000 kph, i shut it off. for 5 or so re started it and all was swell except the engine light remained.

nursed it home and went over the car, found it low on oil (again) when i checked it 3 weeks ago it was about 1/2 full.

so i took the work ute to get some oil from the servo, the best stuff i could find there for "performance turbo engines" topped it up it took the whole 5 L, should have got some more. i left the car running for 5 or so, then nursed it to the shops to pick up something for dinner.

anyway fire it up for work this morning, i fill the apartment garage with white smoke. with a trail of white smoke occasionly following me to work, stopped at the servo enroute to work once again when i fired it up bellows of white smoke

heres the good part

so, who thinks my piggys farked?

best course of action

option 1) take it back to where i bought it (still under warrenty) - should be free but after my last dilema they will [B]try[/B] and fark me over,

Option 2) get it rebuilt with forged goodness - 8kish

Option 3) try and source a forged crate motor / cosworth EJ25? 5k bargain + fitting, heads etc etc so probs end up around 10k

Option 4) EJ207 - only because a few people have had built 257 and had the same thing happen again. $$

thoughts

DAN682 08-02-2011 07:39 AM

I say you overfilled the engine with oil hence the white smoke, especially if it has just happened. If not, somebody with a hell of a lot more mechanical knowledge than I will probably know exactly but white smoke could also indicate a fucked head / gasket with water getting into places where oil should only be

Also it doesn't sound right using that much oil. If I were you the next stop should be Subaru (if under warranty still) or any of the workshops listed in the sticky.

mattmy99 08-02-2011 07:45 AM

2.5's use oil... but not that much.
Try your luck with the joint you bought it from first. Make your mind up on course of action based on their response. Ya never know, they might fix/replace it for you.

BoxorBeast 08-02-2011 08:14 AM

Hey damo when I rooted my EJ257... had similar symptoms as you.... car swallowed oil heaps. White/blueish smoke on start ups and sometimes whilst driving it would smoke.... backfired heaps. Felt a loss in power, idle was rough but not as bad as what you were saying. Mine just bounced up and down from 1k to 1.5k.

Hope you figure it out, what I did was went back to EJ207... ;)

nauli 08-02-2011 08:23 AM

How "low on oil" did you find it? If it took 5L it either had none in it or you've overfilled it and hence the smoke.
I would also bet it's sucked some into the intercooler.
If it was 1/2 full 3 weeks ago did you top it up? Though even if you didn't, to use that much in that time is definitely not right. Sounds like something is broken inside...ringland, ring...etc.
If it is under any sort of warranty you should get it back to where you bought it [U]quick smart[/U]....

magic1 08-02-2011 08:31 AM

figure out what will cost you the least amount of money..............do this.

option 1) take it back to where i bought it (still under warrenty) - should be free but after my last dilema they will try and fark me over,

Option 2) get it rebuilt with forged goodness - 8kish

Option 3) try and source a forged crate motor / cosworth EJ25? 5k bargain + fitting, heads etc etc so probs end up around 10k

Option 4) EJ207 - only because a few people have had built 257 and had the same thing happen again. $$

Sorry didnt read your thread.

you have figured out what to do. why are you asking us.

Damo69 08-02-2011 08:40 AM

[QUOTE=magic1;534121]
you have figured out what to do. why are you asking us.[/QUOTE]

trying to convince myself to go built motor :)

Planet WRX 08-02-2011 08:51 AM

Best of Both Worlds

Take it back to the dealer and hound them to pay up for the fix. That's what warranty is for. They will not give you money but should get it fixed so you should pay nothing and get you car back on the road.

Then if you still keen to part with cash, build a second motor and you get the best of both worlds , warranty claim fulfilled and built engine. That way you can take your tiem and build it slowly , look for bargain parts and take the pressure off.

Just a thought.

Rossco 08-02-2011 09:05 AM

[QUOTE=Damo69;534122]trying to convince myself to go built motor :)[/QUOTE]

Just DOOOOO IIIIITTTTT!!!!!!

Go and visit Real Streets website for an indication on pricing!

Kato 08-02-2011 09:11 AM

1. Check dipstick. If it is overfull, thar be yarr problem. If not -

2. Return vehicle under warranty. "Me no speaka da english, you fix. OK?"

3. Repeat until fixed.