Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Airbags and Sensors (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/40659-airbags-sensors.html)

impressya06 05-03-2011 03:00 PM

Airbags and Sensors

Heyy all,

Some lunatic in a Hyundai decided to run a red light on Thursday and smashed into my car.

Does anyone know, or know where I can find out about airbags and where the sensors are in my car because they didnt go off. Which is pretty scary!

I was turning right onto Kingsley Drive and Mr Hoon flew through the yellow / red light on Hepburn. He hit more front left corner / side of my car doing atleast 70 and I was close to stationary still, so I would have guessed they should have gone off??

Any ideas??? :)

Smokey 05-03-2011 03:06 PM

That sucks, sensors are near the front bumper and under the centre console i believe?
Its always best to wait if some dickhead looks like hes not slowing down for the light :)

jasonmurray 05-03-2011 03:19 PM

Airbags dont go off all the time. Dont be too worried about it. You wont need to change your airbags or sensors if the angle of impact wouldnt have made them go off anyway. Check your pretentioners in your seatbelts as these usually need to be changed before airbag sensors.

Are you insured?

impressya06 05-03-2011 03:36 PM

[QUOTE=Smokey;542390]That sucks, sensors are near the front bumper and under the centre console i believe?
Its always best to wait if some dickhead looks like hes not slowing down for the light :)[/QUOTE]

Trust me, I always wait - especially at this intersection. I was in the middle / across the white line waiting, so I would have followed through once it was red.

impressya06 05-03-2011 03:37 PM

[QUOTE=jasonmurray;542392]Airbags dont go off all the time. Dont be too worried about it. You wont need to change your airbags or sensors if the angle of impact wouldnt have made them go off anyway. Check your pretentioners in your seatbelts as these usually need to be changed before airbag sensors.

Are you insured?[/QUOTE]

yup im insured, he wasnt. i was just curious about the airbags because of the injuries courtesy of hitting my steering wheel so hard. yay - not.
im not even sure where my car is right now.. but im hoping its going to be written off.

Strubaru 05-03-2011 03:39 PM

pretty certain the airbags are only deployed when you are travelling at speed and have a front on impact

impressya06 05-03-2011 03:47 PM

[QUOTE=Strubaru;542396]pretty certain the airbags are only deployed when you are travelling at speed and have a front on impact[/QUOTE]

hrmm maybe. i was thinking the same about front end impact but i would have thought theyd still go off being hit regardless if i were moving...

johnvk7 07-03-2011 07:19 PM

If you weren't hit front on, and you weren't moving, or not moving fast, it's most likely there was not enough G-force generated to fire the airbags. If the car hits a narrow object, like a pole, directly front on, between where the sensors are located, and isn't going fast enough, its possible for the airbags to not go off as well.