Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Sir AntiLag

swan-dogg at standard level
Default stock turbo power rating

hi once again just a simple query. how much power will the stock 99 model turbo withstand (i guess how much boost it and internally stock engine wld take) and also what sort of mods will get to that figure. was hopeing to get 3" tbe, cai (n pod), hyperflow tmic, bov, and a retune on stock comp, is the stock turbo up to it?? or is it recommended to upgrade it?? if so to what??
Old 07-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Adr3naL1N at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Adr3naL1N

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan-dogg
hi once again just a simple query. how much power will the stock 99 model turbo withstand (i guess how much boost it and internally stock engine wld take) and also what sort of mods will get to that figure. was hopeing to get 3" tbe, cai (n pod), hyperflow tmic, bov, and a retune on stock comp, is the stock turbo up to it?? or is it recommended to upgrade it?? if so to what??
id recomend getting a hold of one of the VF Turbo's and getting a full new computer, go for an autronic or a motec if you can afford it or at worst a link, i wouldn't run more then 16psi on the stock ecu, you'll start getting boost cuts, i suffered that on the old rex. With the mods you listed, eg pod and fmic, cai combined with a vf turbo and upgraded ecu, you can have a little great little weapon.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Sir AntiLag

AC Schnitzer at standard level

I concur.

Also bear in mind your car will be slower after pod + 3" TBE without ECU mods. This has been confirmed in my dyno which rated my MY03 WRX at 116hp with some mods without ECU.

You'll need the ECU to take full advantage of these mods. Cheapest option is to do everything and have the ECU done at the last so you save up on tuning costs. Downside is you get bullied by holden barinas like me while waiting for ECU tuning.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Sir AntiLag

can i just have stock ecu tuned rather than getting new comp?? or can u only tune the stock ecu to a limited point....
as far as i can tell they only offer limmited benifits, antilag opption, remove boost cut, rev limiter, top speed limmiter removed, cld be wrong as have no idea bout the comps
Old 08-03-2006, 09:56 PM
STI Master

B4GT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to B4GT

some of the stock ecu's tune themseleves slightly for diffrent fuel types ect, the only way to get the stock ecu fully tuned is get it reflashed/mapped with EcuTek
Old 08-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Sir AntiLag

what that roughly worth??
Old 08-03-2006, 10:50 PM
The Kid

WRP10 is unrated
Send a message via MSN to WRP10

roughly 1500 for EcuTek2 which is programmable (thats what steve at MMS said) BUT i would go Autronics, if u decide to go serious EcuTek just wont cut it later on, plus you get Antilag
Old 09-03-2006, 08:25 AM
Bent

Clint at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Schnitzer
I concur.

Also bear in mind your car will be slower after pod + 3" TBE without ECU mods. This has been confirmed in my dyno which rated my MY03 WRX at 116hp with some mods without ECU.

You'll need the ECU to take full advantage of these mods. Cheapest option is to do everything and have the ECU done at the last so you save up on tuning costs. Downside is you get bullied by holden barinas like me while waiting for ECU tuning.
This is not true with the 94-00 WRX's. Only the 01+
Old 09-03-2006, 08:26 AM
Bent

Clint at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRPI0
roughly 1500 for EcuTek2 which is programmable (thats what steve at MMS said) BUT i would go Autronics, if u decide to go serious EcuTek just wont cut it later on, plus you get Antilag
No ecutek for MY99's
Old 09-03-2006, 08:40 AM
Bent

Clint at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by swan-dogg
Ignore the theoretical HP X turbo as it will generally lead to disappointment. Look at what you want from the car and plan around that.

Alex [GETAGRIP] Ran the standard TD04 for quite some time while performing very well in local motorsport. It's a very punchy little turbo.

If you want to go larger then the general consensus from people that have been around for a while is the VF34 or VF35 are very good performers on a standard motor without needing stupidly high boost to get them in their efficiency range.

As far as ECU goes the only real options are the replacement ecus Power FC, Motec, Autronic and Link. Or a piggyback like a Unichip. All are up to the task to a certain degree. It’s all about finding the tuner to match as that is the biggest variable you will encounter.

Good luck with your mods and be patient as cutting corners gets expensive in the long run.

Last edited by Huron; 09-03-2006 at 08:42 AM.

Tags
power, rating, stock, turbo