Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Using Coolant (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/41909-using-coolant.html)

Addy 30-04-2011 02:48 PM

Using Coolant

Hi guys,

I noticed that my engine is using coolant from the level of the overflow bottle. When I check the reservoir it is full, even a bit past the line where the cap seals. This is when engine is completely cold. When it is hot, coolant level is up to the max in the overflow bottle.
There is no oil in the coolant in the reservoir, and I just replaced the coolant (subaru genuine), the two radiator hoses and a thermostat (for a cooler one - grimmspeed 160degree one).
There is no coolant in the oil (replaced the oil and the oil filter last weekend).
Doug did the CO test and there didnt appear to be any in the coolant.
I cannot find a leak or any traces of coolant anywhere, though I sometimes can smell it after I turn the engine off, and the car doesn't blow smoke.
Does anyone know what it could be?
Next on the cards is a compression test. Where can I get a relatively cheap compression test kit?
Engine is stock and done 150000kms
Thanks for reading.

Adi

GX-REX 30-04-2011 02:51 PM

Stock radiator or alloy?

Addy 30-04-2011 03:15 PM

Stock radiator.

Adi

GX-REX 30-04-2011 03:22 PM

Hmmm there goes that idea then...

GX-REX 30-04-2011 03:31 PM

[QUOTE=Addy;561208]When I check the reservoir it is full, even a bit past the line where the cap seals. This is when engine is completely cold. When it is hot, coolant level is up to the max in the overflow bottle.[/QUOTE]

Just re-read the first post. Do you fill the overflow to the top? If you don't refill it does it go any lower than the max line?

If you are filling it to the top, the coolant expands when it is heated up and will be spilling out of the overflow cap. Don't fill it any further than the max line and it shouldn't flow out.

redlib 30-04-2011 03:32 PM

Ur tanks can seep a bit when there on the way out giving that coolant smell,
but no notice leakage. Check around the edges of the tanks for discolouration, usually green or yellow or slightly rusty colour.

Rossco 30-04-2011 03:42 PM

You probably didn't get all of the air out after the coolant change.

Why did you fit a cooler (71c) thermostat?

Apart from taking forever to reach normal operating temp (88-89 celcius) there's no advantage.

johnvk7 30-04-2011 05:24 PM

[quote=gx-rex;561217]just re-read the first post. Do you fill the overflow to the top? If you don't refill it does it go any lower than the max line?

If you are filling it to the top, the coolant expands when it is heated up and will be spilling out of the overflow cap. Don't fill it any further than the max line and it shouldn't flow out.[/quote]

this^^^^^^^^^^
Coolant expands when its hot and contracts when its cold, that half the reason the reservoir is there.

Addy 30-04-2011 05:37 PM

I fill it up to the max line on the overflow bottle (never over) and then over a few weeks it goes to below the low line (when cold).

Rossco, for some reason I thought that it would be better for the engine to run cooler than stock. Too late now, stupid I know :). But most of the days I the car spends idling in traffic to and from work, so that is the reason I wanted it to be a bit cooler.

Why would air in the cooling system cause my car to use coolant? The car has never overheated, and the temp gauge is in the middle of the gauge once warm, never goes over half.

Adi

tiddy 30-04-2011 05:40 PM

Check your heater core :)
Just pull the carpet back a bit on the passengers side.
Mine did this.