Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   EJ20TT primary turbo not boosting (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/42588-ej20tt-primary-turbo-not-boosting.html)

tocchi 31-05-2011 07:35 PM

EJ20TT primary turbo not boosting

Hey guys,

I only recently bought my Gen II Legacy. It was boosting perfectly and now after a month, my primary turbo is not boosting at all.
I am unsure what to do, I think I should take it to a mechanic as I am not great when it comes to turbo's....yet anyway.
I do know that the vf13 (Primary turbo) was hi-flowed before I bought it, but my plan was to upgrade both turbo's eventually anyway.

Anyone got any idea's of what the problem could be? or any advice on what I should check?

Cheers, Blair.

jEstEr? 31-05-2011 07:38 PM

if it was highflowed then there could be an issue with the wastegate on the first turbo sticking open? I know with those motors too the vacuum lines are horrendous and you could have one of them off and not even know it.

I would be asking on rslibertyclub.org as the guys there would have far more experience with the TT setup. Or take it into STechnic and have one of the blokes there do some poking around

Mister Two 31-05-2011 07:40 PM

Or you could bin the lot of it and convert to single turbo. TT = AIDS

tocchi 31-05-2011 07:43 PM

okay cheers mate : )
I will check my waste gate and vacuum lines tomorrow.

yeah I am unsure where is the best garage to go to....
I was unsure between:
-All Star
-Maximum Performance
-Blue Star
but I have never heard of STechnic.
I was leaning towards Blue Star because it is so close to home.

tocchi 31-05-2011 07:44 PM

[QUOTE=Mister Two;571476]Or you could bin the lot of it and convert to single turbo. TT = AIDS[/QUOTE]

yeah that is what a lot of people have been telling me...
If I was to do that I would want to wait till next year when I have finished school and will have started my mechanical apprenticeship, so I can do the work myself

jEstEr? 31-05-2011 08:06 PM

I would say STechnic would have the most experience with the Liberty motor, but as Mr2 says, the Subaru OEM TT setup is as gay as aids and it might prove more expensive than its worth to fault find.

tocchi 31-05-2011 08:10 PM

okay thanks fellas : )
I really appreciate it.
Is twin turbo to single turbo a common modification? Is it a big job to do as well?

teejay 31-05-2011 08:24 PM

Very very common.

Not too pricey depending on what turbo you go.

I did it to my old RS when swapping motors across.

tocchi 31-05-2011 08:29 PM

[QUOTE=teejay;571495]Very very common.

Not too pricey depending on what turbo you go.

I did it to my old RS when swapping motors across.[/QUOTE]
TRUE! I will give it some thought haha
I have been thinking about turbo upgrades but there aren't too many sources of information out there, unless they are on international forums...

teejay 31-05-2011 08:35 PM

rsliberty.org

probably the biggest resource in the world, and its local.