Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT43 View Post
Franz could set a decent time in a horse and cart
True but Esterbauer being Esterbauer was still shitty that Metlitzky was pulling away from him slightly on each lap!

Last edited by nauli; 18-06-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 18-06-2011, 07:07 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

FranZ at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to FranZ Send a message via MSN to FranZ Send a message via Yahoo to FranZ

lol. Cheers guys.

I was never really a fan of the expensive "performance" street tyres as they could never really compare to an r comp - you can't have a tyre with masses of grip, is quiet, lasts for 80000kms, doesn't tramline and is comfortable all in one - it just doesn't exist. In saying that, tyres have come a long way and there are a fair few tyres out there that do everything rather well; contenders of these have all been mentioned in this thread...

I can only speak from experience for two particular tyres. Federal and PSS gave me a set of Federal 595RSR's to put on Richard's (Fetish on antilag) awesome green MKIV Supra to use a chase/camera car at the last drift series at Barbagallo. Yes, we got them in 235 for the front and a wide 295 for the rear to facilitate the rims they were on, but they also had to deal with putting over 500rwhp to the ground. Now, the drifters turn into turn 1 almost as quick as the grip guys going for a good time. I wasn't driving the ideal line as I needed to have the camera on their inside to get the best shot and therefore just hugged the inside of the corner but they just seemed to hold on and this is when the air temp was between 20 and 42 degrees C - you can imagine the track temp! They seemed to wear very well too, they did over 90 laps over the season as chase car (remembering the different sizes front to rear so I couldn't rotate) aswell as a track day with Richard driving (30+ laps) plus another track day on Adrian Kuljis's Supra (30+ laps). At the end of this they weren't shagged (ie still gripped up given the heat they had seen) and still had 30%ish percent left in them. I am so impressed with them as a performance tyre. As for times, they were never going to set any records, but I did a 70.1sec long track time in Richard's Supra on a 37+ degree track day (Ryan Palazzolo's bucks day) with no brakes! lol

The other tyre I have used and I can't speak highly enough of is the Yokohama AD08. I originally had a drive of these on Teddy's Evo IX at a No Limits track night. He said go as fast as you can as he wanted to see what a lightly modded Evo IX could do on "street" tyres. I didn't check tyre pressures and knew the alignment was setup for road with only a little thought on a track setup. The car makes just under 300awhp. I managed to get it around in a 55.8sec on the short track at Barbagallo, yes the tyres were howling and it tended to go for understeer rather than oversteer but it was very predictable when it was going to start to push. This was done on my second lap, my third lap I backed it up with a 55.9sec. After the 3 laps I came in and didn't get a chance to check pressures but later that night did have a look at them, they did 22 laps that night and you wouldn't have known it. No heat blistering of feathering, not even around the edges of the tyre blocks or the outer edge of the tyre near the sidewall. At this point I was sold on them.

Knowing that I was going to be running Car Zero at Targa South West I wanted a tyre that would disperse water like a road tyre (given that its held in and around Pemberton in winter) but still perform well in the dry but not wear quickly. I contacted John at Wheels World and got a set in in 235/45/17. Targa South West remained 90% dry and the tyres performed extremely well. I obviously wasn't pushing but the tyres definitely held their own and we set some respectable stage times in comparison (given that we had a job to do as officials aswell). I then used the tyres for a few laps at the recent WRX Owners Club Tuning Day at Barbagallo. Stupidly I left my boost controller on my medium setting meaning it was making about 300-310awhp (you can see this by my lack of top speed on the straights) but still managed to crank out a 66.8sec long track time. The tyres have done 500km at Targa South West (100+km were competitive and at speed) + 8 or so laps of Barbagallo, they still have 6mm from the 8mm of tread they started with. They were also comfortable, quiet and didn't tramline. Awesome tyre, can't recommend them enough. Go see John at Wheels World and tell him I sent you there for a set and to get a discount

Vid of my Evo with the ADO8's with 35psi hot in them at Barbagallo: YouTube - ‪Mitsubishi Evo 8 MR - Yokohama Advan AD08 - Barbagallo Raceway - Franz Esterbauer‬‏

Pics of the AD08's working at Targa South West:

2009 Wheels World EVO vs WRX Champion
2010 Wheels World EVO vs WRX Champion
2010/2011 Speedaware Rallysprint Champion
2011/2012 McRae Motorsport Rallysprint Champion
Old 18-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Flat Four Father

XT43 is a guruXT43 is a guruXT43 is a guru

nice roofracks!
Old 18-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division