Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   coilovers (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/43690-coilovers.html)

sti02wrx 27-07-2011 07:43 AM

coilovers

Hi Guys

Has any one heard of Killabee coilovers?? if so what are they like any recommondations, I was looking at HSD but these also came up in a search.

Cheers

Anthony

American Dave 27-07-2011 07:51 AM

HSD HR coilovers hands down. Proven to be a good product and many owners have them. The local agent for HSD' in WA in member / moderator (Balistic) here also so you will be looked after.

BALISTC 27-07-2011 09:09 AM

Thanks Dave :D

Got a pile of people waiting on these things to get back into stock, its been a bit tough lately getting HSD's.

I'm told the air shipment will be here by end of month, so I'm hoping to ramp things up by August..

Anthony, drop me a PM if and when you're keen and i'll sort ya out :D

Strubaru 27-07-2011 09:30 AM

yeah have only ever heard good things about HSD's and the after sales service you get from joe is second to none :cool:

sti02wrx 27-07-2011 10:25 AM

Looks like HSD's are the pick!!!

MISSWRXYSTi 27-07-2011 11:05 AM

[QUOTE=BALISTC;589986]Thanks Dave :D

Got a pile of people waiting on these things to get back into stock, its been a bit tough lately getting HSD's.

I'm told the air shipment will be here by end of month, so I'm hoping to ramp things up by August..

Anthony, drop me a PM if and when you're keen and i'll sort ya out :D[/QUOTE]

Pm me cost to pls Joe!!!

karina2009 27-07-2011 12:14 PM

are they to fit wrx's only? will they fit the silvia?
just got king springs but not happy with the difference of how the car sits... pretty meh if you ask me.

BALISTC 27-07-2011 12:34 PM

HSD's are available for all model Silvia's too :D

Strubaru 27-07-2011 12:37 PM

longshot but can you get them for bmws? in particular e39 540 :cool:

BALISTC 27-07-2011 12:49 PM

Sorry mate, not available for BMWs :(

Latenitez 27-07-2011 12:58 PM

Just a general question Joe on the Hsds, whats is the lifespan of everyday driving on coilovers are they designed to last as long as stock Suspension?

BALISTC 27-07-2011 01:06 PM

Jord, they'll never last as long as OEM struts.. mine have done 20,000km with no problems, and I'm sure there are plenty of others in the same boat. I've sold a set of replacement dampers to one guy who did 60,000km on HSD's before they wore out.

Ivan Tan and Denver use them in their race WRX, 4 years and counting.

That being said, a set of OEM struts lowered on super lows won't last much longer than 50-70,000km before they wear out (they start getting "crashy" over bumps).

Latenitez 27-07-2011 01:13 PM

awesome Joe thats exactlly what i wanted to know as i was discussing it with my bro and he asked that exact question and i couldnt answer him, cheers homie

mao 27-07-2011 01:54 PM

We do them for the both the US and European E39s if you are interested. Regards.

[QUOTE=Strubaru;590092]longshot but can you get them for bmws? in particular e39 540 :cool:[/QUOTE]

BALISTC 27-07-2011 01:55 PM

Yeah if you've got a BMW, you're better off catching some STD's from Mao.

karina2009 27-07-2011 02:42 PM

[QUOTE=BALISTC;590088]HSD's are available for all model Silvia's too :D[/QUOTE]

Woo might hit you up for some after I get my rotas :)

Kato 27-07-2011 02:45 PM

[QUOTE=BALISTC;590132]Yeah if you've got a BMW, you're better off catching some STD's from Mao.[/QUOTE]

I see what you did there :D

American Dave 27-07-2011 02:50 PM

STD's are no joking matter John

Kato 27-07-2011 02:54 PM

This is why I keep getting WRX's, can't risk catching a STI these days...

Strubaru 27-07-2011 03:33 PM

^^ much LOL's

so you can get the ones to suit the e39 540/m5? they are different to the I6 E39's apparently, please confirm & pm me prices & options :cool:

mao 27-07-2011 06:04 PM

We have worked on the BMW E39 M5 back in 2001. We put on Bilsteins PSS 9 coilovers back then and the Remus catback on this M5 rego:S10NG if anyone remembers the car.

We also took out the V8 Dyno trophy with that car at the Perth Auto Salon in the same year.

Anyway, the E39 M5 and the E39 540 V8 shares the same suspension.
Will PM you info and pricing tmr and make sure they are for the V8 versions.

Regards.

RichX 27-07-2011 06:13 PM

So with HSD's - The dampning notch is on the bottom of the strut once they are installed, so you have to adjust from underneath (hoist preferable) - if you are under the car facing towards the engine, clockwise or anticlockwise to stiffen/soften?

Strubaru 27-07-2011 06:15 PM

sweet mate, let me know

Rexxar 27-07-2011 06:23 PM

[QUOTE=RichX;590247]So with HSD's - The dampning notch is on the bottom of the strut once they are installed, so you have to adjust from underneath (hoist preferable) - if you are under the car facing towards the engine, clockwise or anticlockwise to stiffen/soften?[/QUOTE]

set them 2nd click from the hardest setting and set and forget :) love my HSD HR

RichX 27-07-2011 06:25 PM

Yeah will do cuz, bit clockwise or anticlockwise as per my previous post ... :)

kid 27-07-2011 07:08 PM

How low did you guys go with the HSDs?

When mine arrive i plan to just take it to a suspension place and just tell them how low and what firmness setting and be done with it....i assume theres not much else to adjust on the HSDs?

Soksta 27-07-2011 07:18 PM

[QUOTE=kid;590285]How low did you guys go with the HSDs?

When mine arrive i plan to just take it to a suspension place and just tell them how low and what firmness setting and be done with it....i assume theres not much else to adjust on the HSDs?[/QUOTE]

When I had them installed, Wheels World left them on the middle setting (8th click) so that I could see which way I wanted to go towards.
Before the last skid pan day, I had them set back down to the 3rd (softest?) setting and they handled a treat!

Have over 18000km on them so far and besides one small issue, everything has gone pretty darn well :D

RichX 27-07-2011 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=kid;590285]How low did you guys go with the HSDs?
[/QUOTE]

Low :) If you aren't! rolling the guards and dialling in some camber you're not going low enough.

HSD's have height and dampner adjustment, the HSD's were one of, it not the best mod I have done. The car is just totally different afterwards. Be prepared for some stiffness and a totally different ride and feel to what you are used to!

So much so that I am going to throw a full Perrin swaybars, endlinks etc etc kit in next.

Soksta - Are yours totally silent?

Soksta 27-07-2011 07:31 PM

[QUOTE=RichX;590299]Soksta - Are yours totally silent?[/QUOTE]

I had a small amount of squeeking due to one of the pillow balls in the top hat, but this has been replaced.
Thanks Joe :D

Besides that, the only noise I have since noted was an increase in cabin noise due to the increased stiffness in the suspension (less force gets absorbed in the struts now as mechanical movement), but besides that, they have been pretty good!

RichX 27-07-2011 07:33 PM

When i am creeping out my driveway notice they make .. not a creaking noise, but like a squeechy kind of sound. In for less than a month. No performance issues, just funny sound. Only notice it when radio off and no road noise.

[REXPLOIT] 27-07-2011 07:45 PM

[QUOTE=BALISTC;590115]Jord, they'll never last as long as OEM struts.. mine have done 20,000km with no problems, and I'm sure there are plenty of others in the same boat. I've sold a set of replacement dampers to one guy who did 60,000km on HSD's before they wore out.

Ivan Tan and Denver use them in their race WRX, 4 years and counting[/QUOTE]

^ Jordan/Anthony. Mine have been in for 5 years and about 75thou. The only reason they're coming out, are mine, (Pre Joe :D) don't have the ABS and brake line brackets. The models do now. I also have +1 stiffer springs F & R, and they never missed a beat from day one. (Mid 06).

[QUOTE=RichX;590299]HSD's have height and damper adjustment, the HSD's were one of, it not the best mod I have done. The car is just totally different afterwards. Be prepared for some stiffness and a totally different ride and feel to what you are used to![/QUOTE]

^ You wont look back. You'll even learnt to live with/love, the clunks from the pillow rears. The only time personally I find it 'really' noticeable, (yes - when the car was driving before anyone chimes in), was 1st gear tight stuff in carparks. Aside from that, they were perfect.

Even though I'm not going back to them, I would get them again, and plus one for Joe. 60% of the time, he works everytime!

Brent.
:)

Rexxar 27-07-2011 08:30 PM

Coilover and Swaybars best mod ever imo made car soo much better to drive :)

BALISTC 28-07-2011 08:45 AM

Thanks for the props guys.. *HUGS*

Trust me when I say I wouldn't sell these if they were troublesome.. I only continue to provide the service to the Perth car community because they're a "set and forget" product which doesn't require a huge amount of my time chasing problems. If I was constantly fixing problems and warranty issues, I wouldn't be doing it due to my limited time available.

The issues we do have are minor, and normally exist in ANY coilover i.e. pillow ball noise is par for the course when you go from rubber to metal mounts, whether you're copping an STD coilover or a set of DMS 50s. Either way, if there is a problem, I am more than happy to fix it. I can count on one hand the number of coilovers I've had problems with over the 4 or so years I've been selling them, and I've sold 100s of sets!

Stock levels are the issue at the moment.. I'm breaking the distributors balls every day about when these things are going to arrive, as they've been stocked out for a while... but as soon as they do, I'll be updating my thread with how many are available and for what models.

Just to answer some questions:

The HSD struts are inverted, so adjustment is from the bottom. You turn them clockwise when you're looking at the adjuster. So if you're lying under the car (or standing under it on a hoist) looking up at them, they go clockwise for hard and anti-clockwise for soft.

Early sets didn't have brackets for ABS and brake lines, but the ones produced in the last few years have these.. Brent, I can sort out a set of brackets for you cheep cheep, just drop me a PM :)

Mike 28-07-2011 09:01 AM

[QUOTE=Strubaru;589996]yeah have only ever heard good things about HSD's and the after sales service you get from joe is second to none :cool:[/QUOTE]

+1, great service!

RUSSGT 28-07-2011 09:07 AM

Plus he is really good looking!

Thing i dont like about HSD's is the damping on the bottom. Soo much easier on the tops. I like the BC's for this reason. Same price but easier adjustment.