Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   repainting intake manifold (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/4372-repainting-intake-manifold.html)

urabus 19-03-2006 07:12 PM

repainting intake manifold

As per usual the red paint on the intake manifold is all flaking off.

I would like to remove it and have it repainted.

a) is it a difficult job to remove it. The engine is not in the car at the moment.

b) any ideas who would paint it for me.

Cheers

Brendon

swan-dogg 19-03-2006 07:18 PM

do it yourself, get some paint stripper, cheap like 20 buks and a can of heat proof spray paint from bunnings or whereever also around 20 buks
and in whateva colour u want :eusa_danc

mr_psi 19-03-2006 08:24 PM

make sure ya prime it :P or its the same shit

d_generate 19-03-2006 09:11 PM

Make sure you get the correct crinkle paint or it will look like shit, wire brush all the old flaking paint off & clean it with prepsol so there is no grease, I never used primer & don't think you need to with this stuff but you MUST leave it out in the sun between coats to dry or it will not crinkle properly, mine's done about 15,000ks & still looks good & it's been cooked once, if you are going to strip it yourself take lots of good photos so you get all the wires, pipes & hoses back the corect way, it's easy to forget.

urabus 19-03-2006 10:22 PM

thanks for the info guys. Are there any gaskets that need to be replaced when you carry out this operation?

Cheers

Brendon

JMAX 20-03-2006 12:08 AM

VHT Wrinkle Paint in red is almost exacty the same paint used on the STi manifolds and will give you the same finish.

Chad 241WRC 20-03-2006 09:38 AM

As Blue Wrx Said..... VHT Red Wrinkle Paint Looks just like the real thing...... just follow the instructions on the can and hey presto just like an STI brudda.....
Found Coventrys was the place to get it from most other places only had black......

Chad

PossM 20-03-2006 06:34 PM

Curious in saying that i got told that its flammable is this so? I wanted to respray my air flow pipe to my air filter but was advised not to because its flammable is this true?

jEstEr? 20-03-2006 07:13 PM

[QUOTE=PossM]Curious in saying that i got told that its flammable is this so? I wanted to respray my air flow pipe to my air filter but was advised not to because its flammable is this true?[/QUOTE]

its flammable in its compressed form, ie if you try sprying it onto a lighter (which is highly dangerous but oh-so satisfying at the same time) once its dried its perfectly fine.

WRP10 20-03-2006 07:19 PM

[QUOTE=jEstEr?]its flammable in its compressed form, ie if you try sprying it onto a lighter (which is highly dangerous but oh-so satisfying at the same time) once its dried its perfectly fine.[/QUOTE]

Isnt that the same as every liguid? Even canola oil compressed with an atomiser is flammable, isnt it just the atomiser thats flammable :confused: