Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   eBay America in gaurd cold air intake kits fitting (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/44054-ebay-america-gaurd-cold-air-intake-kits-fitting.html)

tal 12-08-2011 11:07 PM

eBay America in gaurd cold air intake kits fitting

Hey guys just a quick question, iv been looking through eBay.com and there seems to be heaps of in guard cai kits really cheap..... My questions are 1. Are our intakes on the same side as us Sti's? 2. Could you just buy the kit and put a good pod on the end of it? 3. Has anyone done this before and did it mount up ok 4. The air flow meter should be the same and screw strait in no?

By the way I have an 05 Sti peanut

the reason I ask these questions is that the in gaurd intakes are quite expensive and what I thought is the pipe is the same so for $50 why no use the cheap intake kit and buy a good pod locally and hopefully save sum cash ;)

if this doesn't work what are in gaurd cai kits worth n where can I find them,
I tried searching and come up with a few possiblities jus wanted to know your thoughts

cheers

WRX_GF8 13-08-2011 02:08 PM

If you change the air intake setup on an 05 sti you will most likely need a re-tune, these models are sensitive to intake and exhaust modifications.

gorotsuki69 13-08-2011 03:01 PM

I got an ebay special from xyztuning and it fit fine. I replaced the pod for a better one.
Just make sure the AFM pipe diameter is the same as stock , 65mm from memory

JDM_STYLE 13-08-2011 03:08 PM

[QUOTE=WRX_GF8;596614]If you change the air intake setup on an 05 sti you will most likely need a re-tune, these models are sensitive to intake and exhaust modifications.[/QUOTE]

There's lots of 05 around Oz with TBE etc and no tune with no probs, 06 + is a little more sensitive to extra flow etc as the ECU doesn't like it and goes into safe mode.

johnvk7 13-08-2011 07:44 PM

Wayne's back! And he's right, an '05 will be ok as long as the tubing is the same diameter.
But... a tune will take full advantage of any mods.

tal 15-08-2011 07:14 PM

Il look into the xyz one, thanks..... So that must mean that their airbox is on the same side as ours....

Also what type of filter did you use and did it fit directly on to the kit you bought? Also was yours a full in guard cai? The ones I'm looking at are in guard, I just wana make sure that it has the air flow meter hole and fits without to much fiddling around

thanks

gorotsuki69 15-08-2011 07:35 PM

any pod with a 3" inlet will fit. I used a K&N but go for a non-oiled for less chance of stuffing your AFM.
yes it's a full guard CAI with AFM hole
oh, it was a tight squeeze into the hole (insert joke here)
but no major problem

tal 15-08-2011 09:35 PM

Ahhh cool thanks for the info, do u minde asking how much u paid?

tal 15-08-2011 09:41 PM

All good found it it's like 30 sumthing bucks and 50 for postage, cheers for the help mate

gorotsuki69 15-08-2011 10:37 PM

same price