Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Short Shifter - Anything Missing? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/44094-short-shifter-anything-missing.html)

WRXMatt 15-08-2011 03:17 PM

Short Shifter - Anything Missing?

1 Attachment(s)
Hey,

Got a question about my shifter setup. This Short Shifter was on the car when I bought it. Think its a B&R Short Shifter. When I have my hand on the gear knob I can hear noises. Sounds like wind, lol. I can move my hand around and hear different wind noises, so weird! I was wondering if there was something missing, like a extra boot to reduce the noise coming from the gearbox? Seems like theres nothing there to reduce noise.

DanFranko 15-08-2011 05:44 PM

Matt...seeing as I fitted the shifter I can probably have a go at answering this.

Have a look at the original shifter..it has a large rubber filled central part. This I think helps absorb sound and vibration. That particular short shift is much noisier than stock. It also gets louder when you swap out the stock gear knob...

Dunno what you can do about it...there are wiser ppl on this forum that might be able to help.

Hope the wrx is still going good!

Dan

apg39 15-08-2011 05:54 PM

Is the silver ring around the bolt a washer? If so thats your problem. There is normally a bushing in there, stock part# is 35035AC000 for GC & 35035AC010 for GD's but no idea if it fits that shifter. Might be easier to find some rubber washers.

dtrally 15-08-2011 11:02 PM

Those short shifters have a needle roller instead of a nylon bush. It's nore precise and direct but there's always going to be more noise and vibes heading up the gearstick. Nothing to do other than change the stick for one with nylon bushes if it shits you that much.
It's possible there's some abnormal noise in the box that's travelling up through the stick as well. The nylon pads on the shift forks inside the gearbox wear out if you drive with your hand leaning on the stick too. Transfer bearings can fail too and that can make a noise in the cabin amplified through the shift lever.

Killer Python 15-08-2011 11:26 PM

bit off subject but my rear reverse lights both dont work could it be coz of m short shifter? its a 94 wrx

johnvk7 16-08-2011 07:05 AM

[QUOTE=Killer Python;597452]bit off subject but my rear reverse lights both dont work could it be coz of m short shifter? its a 94 wrx[/QUOTE]

If it selects reverse properly then its unlikely, check the globes, then the fuse, then the reverse light switch.

Killer Python 03-09-2011 04:09 PM

[QUOTE=johnvk7;597465]If it selects reverse properly then its unlikely, check the globes, then the fuse, then the reverse light switch.[/QUOTE]
i checked all that dude and nothin man have no clue, is the reverse button for the lights inside the gear box?

redlib 03-09-2011 09:16 PM

Find the reverse light switch bridge the wires on the block connector and see if the lights come on, if they do, then it usually the switch, if they don't then theres something else wrong, like globe, check and see if theres power getting to the switch and the globes. Then report back.

WRXMatt 23-04-2012 02:30 PM

[QUOTE=apg39;597324]Is the silver ring around the bolt a washer? If so thats your problem. There is normally a bushing in there, stock part# is 35035AC000 for GC & 35035AC010 for GD's but no idea if it fits that shifter. Might be easier to find some rubber washers.[/QUOTE]

Bringing up a old thread that i made. Gonna fix the gear shift noise now. So just wondering should i replace the metal washers with some rubber washers? Can i just get any rubber washers and chuck them in? Also is there anything else i should have in the shifter? Or is there anything that would improve the shifting?