Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Standard vs Slotted Rotors for road use (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/44392-standard-vs-slotted-rotors-road-use.html)

kjkjkj 31-08-2011 12:53 PM

Standard vs Slotted Rotors for road use

Hi all,

Is there any benefits in spending extra for a slotted rotor vs standard in road use conditions. ie. Do you get better braking performance from slotted in street application or you will only see in the track?

RUSSGT 31-08-2011 01:08 PM

No. Track helps but for street use mostly it will just be wank.

Philbo 31-08-2011 01:09 PM

Search it has been covered more than 100 times.

RichX 31-08-2011 01:25 PM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT;602734]No. Track helps but for street use mostly it will just be street cred.[/QUOTE]

Fixed

WhiteRX 31-08-2011 09:42 PM

Slotted for street, just for looks, standard for track. IMHO after being through many many sets of rotors of all types, the standard (subaru genuine or brembo brand) brake rotors (non slotted/drilled/whatever) are all i would use now.

Slotted rotors look good, but feel worse, and perform worse than standard rotors :)

blackwrxwagon 31-08-2011 09:45 PM

[QUOTE=WhiteRX;602914]Slotted for street, just for looks, standard for track. IMHO after being through many many sets of rotors of all types, the standard good quality (subaru genuine or brembo brand) brake rotors are all i would use now.

Slotted rotors look good, but feel worse, and perform worse than standard rotors :)[/QUOTE]

Having eaten through a stock set of wrx pads + discs in one tuning day (morning sessions only), I wouldn't buy standard.

If you ever intend to see the track, get slotted.

WhiteRX 31-08-2011 09:52 PM

[QUOTE=blackwrxwagon;602916]Having eaten through a stock set of wrx pads + discs in one tuning day (morning sessions only), I wouldn't buy standard.

If you ever intend to see the track, get slotted.[/QUOTE]

Pads are a different issue. You need a high performance pad. something like a ds2500.

But rotors. i was going through a set of rotors, per track day with dba slotteds, dba 4000, then finally dba5000. every time shudder that was terrible. Swap to standard ( and undersized rotors ) and havent had shudder even when they were full of cracks. and they have been hot. Now i have a new set of brembo non slotteds, and have the same great pedal feel that the standard rotors had, plus no shudder.

XT43 31-08-2011 10:10 PM

Ahh, me OEMs

[IMG]http://emob389.photobucket.com/albums/oo331/XT43/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_8536.jpg[/IMG]

blackwrxwagon 31-08-2011 10:30 PM

[QUOTE=WhiteRX;602918]Pads are a different issue. You need a high performance pad. something like a ds2500.

But rotors. i was going through a set of rotors, per track day with dba slotteds, dba 4000, then finally dba5000. every time shudder that was terrible. Swap to standard ( and undersized rotors ) and havent had shudder even when they were full of cracks. and they have been hot. Now i have a new set of brembo non slotteds, and have the same great pedal feel that the standard rotors had, plus no shudder.[/QUOTE]

What I meant was that even with a soft compound pad, the standard rotors were eaten and overheated within 10 laps (3 laps at a time). Its would only be worse with a good high temp pad.

Funnily enough, I run PMu pads (h16 fronts and hc+ rear) on slotted dba rotors, and the rotors wear at a much slower rate despite higher temps + higher friction pad.

WhiteRX 31-08-2011 11:07 PM

[QUOTE=blackwrxwagon;602934]What I meant was that even with a soft compound pad, the standard rotors were eaten and overheated within 10 laps (3 laps at a time). Its would only be worse with a good high temp pad.
[/QUOTE]

I think the opposite of this, the pad governs how much heat goes into the rotor, and how much goes into the caliper/pad. It also depends on the way that the friction is generated as to how much heat is created. Stock pads arent race pads :) they are normal use pads.

I have never had a standard rotor fail, but have had dba rotors fail, so all in all i have had very bad experiences with them. That is all.

Cheers

Tom