Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Possible gearbox synchro problem. Fix or Replace? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/44512-possible-gearbox-synchro-problem-fix-replace.html)

Werdna54 06-09-2011 11:31 PM

Possible gearbox synchro problem. Fix or Replace?

I think my mate might have busted my 5th gear synchro by changing gear too fast.

Every time i change into 5th above about 2000rpm, the gears crunch. Below 2000rpm seems fine though.

I was curious, does anyone know how much it could be to get the gearsets replaced? Most sites i have seen only off 1-4th gearsets, not 5th.

The other option (depending on price) would to try get an STI 6 speed installed. Anyone done this and/or know what is involved?

I drive an MY03 Peanut.

johnvk7 07-09-2011 06:52 AM

Whoa dude! settle down, It will probably cost around 2500 to replace 5th gear and its synchro. Take it to a workshop or dealership and get a quote.
THere is another issue with nut on the end of mainshaft coming loose. Don't know if the ver8 is affected though.

Replacing the whole gearset or doing a 6speed conversion = more than 6g's
Lots more money! Unless you have the money to spend i guess.

Kato 07-09-2011 07:14 AM

I seriously doubt you have smashed 5th gear synchro by changing gear too fast. When you say it goes in under 2000 rpm, what speed/rpm of 4th are you changing from?

You don't need to replace gearsets, thats a completely different area. And installing a 6 speed is probably overkill.

As said above, go see a Subaru gearbox guru like Doug at STechnic and get him to diagonose and fix the issue. Could be as simple as an oil change.

johnvk7 07-09-2011 07:53 AM

5th gear synchoes are an issue, but definitely get it looked at first

Werdna54 07-09-2011 11:28 AM

Generally changing from 4th to 5th at about 80km/h (marmion and freeway ramps.) So about 3400 - 4000 rpm.

[QUOTE=Kato;605002]I seriously doubt you have smashed 5th gear synchro by changing gear too fast. When you say it goes in under 2000 rpm, what speed/rpm of 4th are you changing from?[/QUOTE]

After ringing a few guys and finding out just how expensive gearboxes are, I think replacing gearsets/6 speed are a last resort .

I've heard of this before, but I have a similar problem with first. I have to stop at every corner to shift into it, or shudder around it in 2nd. Supposably it is meant to be like that though.

mitchwnz 07-09-2011 12:15 PM

Call S-Technic.

johnvk7 07-09-2011 08:04 PM

Sounds like your synchroes are worn, 5th gear and 1st gear wearing is quite common, bear in mind though, like I said, there is an issue with the nut on the end of the mainshaft coming loose, which also affects shifting in 5th

dtrally 07-09-2011 11:13 PM

The nut and the 5th synchro can both be rectified without gearbox removal or major dismantling. Budget on a thousand $ at most with new oil and parts.