Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Brant or Battery?? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/44648-brant-battery.html)

Julz 12-09-2011 09:10 PM

Brant or Battery??

Hey all, before i get flamed, searched under brant and went through 3 pages, still havnt found anyone in the same situation as me, close, but not the same.

So i live in Karratha, car is in perth.
My bro calls me sunday morning to tell me my car wont start.
I tell him to jump in and try start it so i can hear what it is doing (my brother is useless with these things)

He turns the ignition and the starter motor kicks in but just makes really loud clicking sounds, kinda like when you try start it with out the pin code entered (he didnt enter the pin code because the brant didnt ask for it. Normally always does)

He cant tell me if the fuel pump is priming (he isnt sure what that sounds like) and i cant hear it on the phone.

First off he tells me the eletrics are doing all kinds of wierd things, sometimes when the key is put into the ignition all the dash lights pop up like normal and the CD player turns on, then sometimes only the CD player and no dash lights, only the gauges work and when he leaves the key in the on position the CD player just turns on and off randomly.

windows go up and down fine, HID head lights etc all work

So i ask him what the key pad is doing, he says there is no lights on, i tell him to turn it off and turn it back on, then he has lights, its in valet mode, i tell him to turn the car off and on to get it to the point to put the pin in, he got 6 times in then nothing 3 times in a row and it re set its self to 10 starts in valet mode!

So i tell him to try again, eventually it works, got it to the pin mode, thought it would work (found a few posts where this worked) he put the pin in, everything lights up like normal (not sure if fuel primed, couldnt hear it on the phone....) gives the key a turn... and nothing, just kicking over but not firing

I have the Brant in it still (Doh... should of changed it before when i had the chance, will be done ASAP now) it is set up for normal operation, put the 4 digit pin in every time you start etc. As i only drive it every month or so its no big deal.

Im thinking of changing the battery first as i think its over due and its kind of the eaisest thing and my bro could do it.
I read somewhere on the forums that said the brant doesnt like a dieing battery and it goes into valet mode when this is happening, can anyone comfirm?

Anyone have any thoughts or think they could lend a hand?
I fly down to perth this saturday so i can look at it then, but dont know if i can fix it before the Colin McRae cruise on sunday!

Really want to get this sorted asap, any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated

Jeckle 12-09-2011 09:39 PM

A multi meter/volt meter would be more helpful to tell you how many volts there are there.

Charger is worth a try as long as your sibling can tell the difference between black and red, - and +, and the charger doesn't stay on and overcharge the battery, (unless its a "smart" charger.)

fobz 12-09-2011 09:39 PM

So...
You said it turned over but still didn't start. As far as I know the standard brant
install will stop the car turning over fully stop. So the problem may not be
the brant. So if the dash lights are on... and its turning over then I don't think
the brant is the problem. Someone with a later model brant may be able to confirm
this.

As far as "lending a hand". Do you want :
A- Info on what the brant is doing ?
B- Assistance removing the brant ?
C- Assistance replacing the battery ?

Julz 12-09-2011 09:44 PM

The car is a 04 wrx by the way.
Is located in east vic park

If anyone is near here or could lend a hand as in, have a multi meter to check the battery volts, have a battery charger to stick it on charge for 24 hours, or change the battery would be awesome, even try turn the car on if your more car technical savy and see what you think, good ol pilbara currency will be given (of your choosing)

Jeckle 12-09-2011 09:44 PM

My Brant doesn't isolate the starter motor, you can crank away and look foolish because you haven't put the code in.:o

Julz 12-09-2011 09:45 PM

[QUOTE=Julz;606953]The car is a 04 wrx by the way.
Is located in east vic park

If anyone is near here or could lend a hand as in, have a multi meter to check the battery volts, have a battery charger to stick it on charge for 24 hours, or change the battery would be awesome, even try turn the car on if your more car technical savy and see what you think, good ol pilbara currency will be given (of your choosing)[/QUOTE]

bro is a uni student so doesnt have any tools/charges etc, makes it hard

thanks for your quick replys

Planet WRX 13-09-2011 07:49 AM

Could be the Brant!

I had issues with mine recently whereby the car would go into valet mode if I tried to start the car before the engine light came on.

It also started to cut out whilst driving due to fuel cut, which was really nasty when it happens in traffic. When it cut out I needed to stop the car , turn ignition totally off, wait 5 seconds before restarting. What a pain!

I rang Brant Corp in Sydney and then sent over a new keypad module $195.00inc fitting , and programming - problem solved. Unit was here in 3 days.

I have contact details if you are interested.

Cheers Tim

RXqME 13-09-2011 03:35 PM

My money is on the battery! I assume it would be around the 9 volts which is allowing the accessories to turn on but not enough for it to start! Also not enough voltage for the brant to function correctly!

If possible get your bro to jump start it.

Julz 13-09-2011 03:58 PM

Update on this one, now the back windows dont work but the front ones do! haha weird...
Got her all detailed today for the cruise sunday, my bro says she looks very pretty :)

My brother has a mate coming around thursday arvo to try jump start it, anything he should do different because of the brant? or just hook it up and run the other car for awhile, then turn ignition on and put code it and bobs your uncle?

He will go straight down to buy a new battery once this is done, if all goes to plan, fingers crossed!

Thanks for the heads up Tim, not keen to buy new stuff for the brant as im going to upgrade the security system soon

Thanks everyone and i hope your right RXqME :)

reconus 13-09-2011 04:02 PM

Temp disconnect the brand, test, change batteries, test, still no worky .. something else.