Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Broken oil filter and more... (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/44778-broken-oil-filter-more.html)

s20525xxx 19-09-2011 10:23 PM

Broken oil filter and more...

Hi, guys.
I put K&N oil filter on my wrx 6000km ago, yesterday some burning smell came out the engine bay, so I drove to city subaru to check it. Oil filter cracked!!!

Thats not the only wired thing. I told them I used [B]redline[/B] [B]5w30[/B] before I let them check the car. After inspection, they said oil filter need to be changed, which is perfectly fine, then I was told they only have mobile super semisyn, I thought, ok, I will switch back to redline later(this week is my exam week). But after I drove home, I pull out the dip stick, the oil is [B]very dark[/B]!!! Check the receipt, they only use 1L of [B]mobile super[/B], and it is [B]10W40[/B], which I think they [B]reused[/B] my redline and toped it up with mixed-grade and mixed-brand oil.

Are they supposed to do that? Will the oil damage my engine? Do I need to change the oil asap?

teejay 19-09-2011 10:35 PM

How could they reuse your oil if it was leaking out?

I presume they simply topped up what had leaked out of the filter.

Simply do a normal service. It will not harm your engine.

Rossco 19-09-2011 10:36 PM

Use Subaru filters (or Ryco).

use mobil 1.

Redline engine oil is a waste of money (gearbox shock proof is a different matter!).

oil filter holds less than 300ml of oil, they would have added 500ml at most to top it up, it will be fine.

both oils contain polyol-ester synthetics anyway.

P,s sounds like someone left the old filter gasket on the filter mount during the last filter change.....unless your relief valve stuck shut, there's only 90psi of pressure in the filter, not nearly enough to 'crack' the steel can.

s20525xxx 19-09-2011 10:40 PM

I thought they need to drain out the engine before changing filter, my bad.

It was not eactly "cracked", its HP1008, a wrench-off filter, oil came out from the wrench cap.

Thanks for the advice, Rossco, I think I will stick to Mobile one from now on.

Interestingly, a mechanic from dealer told the opposite, he thought redline engine oil is fine, but shockproof is not very good.??

Rossco 19-09-2011 10:49 PM

I didn't say it wasn't good, I said it was a waste of money, which for a Subaru application it is.

Who put the K&n filter on it?

Where was the casing cracked? (it's a one piece can)

s20525xxx 19-09-2011 10:52 PM

[QUOTE=Rossco;609716]I didn't say it wasn't good, I said it was a waste of money, which for a Subaru application it is.

Who put the K&n filter on it?

Where was the casing cracked? (it's a one piece can)[/QUOTE]
I only service it at dealer.

I will use Mobile one from now on, and its a lot cheaper:(

That was a wrench-off filter, leaking was from the wrench cap. I realise its stupid to use that, I just really wanted take care of my car, but I didnt do enough research.

teejay 19-09-2011 10:57 PM

[QUOTE=s20525xxx;609718]I only service it at dealer.

[/QUOTE]

Orly?

[QUOTE]I put K&N oil filter on my wrx 6000km ago[/QUOTE]

And why would a dealer be using non genuine parts for a service?

s20525xxx 19-09-2011 10:59 PM

[QUOTE=teejay;609721]Orly?

And why would a dealer be using non genuine parts for a service?[/QUOTE]
I brought it there, thought that was a good filter:(

Rossco 19-09-2011 11:01 PM

You do know to only do filters up 3/4 of a turn by hand once the seal touches the mount right??

Dealer used redline oil too huh? doubtful.

s20525xxx 19-09-2011 11:04 PM

[QUOTE=Rossco;609726]You do know to only do filters up 3/4 of a turn by hand once the seal touches the mount right??

Dealer used redline oil too huh? doubtful.[/QUOTE]

I offered my own oil and filter, dealer did the servicing, they said it could be a manufacturing defect.