Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   High mount GT30 & the pits ! (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/45216-high-mount-gt30-pits.html)

MarcPec 12-10-2011 12:55 PM

High mount GT30 & the pits !

Hey guys, havnt bothered going to make an intro thread as I havn't yet purchased the unlicenced WRX i've been looking at until I get a compression check blah blah blah done to it.

After trolling here for a couple days and searching as much as possible trying to determine how much of a hassle it will be to get it registered i've still a couple questions.

Main one being - when the pit inspector pops the hood and finds a top mount GT30 staring at him in the face will I be in the crapper?

Battery in boot seemed to be mounted really well (I couldn't move it what-so-ever) with a dry battery in a nice black battery box. External wastegate will be plumbed back to the exhaust - will try and source a silencer for the dak dak exhaust.

It also has an aftermarket bodykit and has some slight scrape marks where the door in the past has shaved off a bit of paint on the side skirts (no longer touches) - will the doors need to be shaved and repainted prior to taking her over?

A couple of my previous cars have passed the pits with a pod filter THOUGH they have been somewhat hidden beneith bumpers etc.. this one since running on an autronic base tune has no AFM/MAF between the turbo and pod filter. Will I have to 'dummy' fit a AFM/MAF? Get a bracket made up for the pod or even further have to enclose it?

Sorry about the wall of text just want a vague idea of what im going to be up against to get this sexy beast on the road!

Thanks guys,
Marc.

Voot 12-10-2011 01:00 PM

I would say there wouldn't be much point taking it any where near the pits unless you had it all approved in writing by an engineer

Kato 12-10-2011 01:07 PM

Do all the basics:

1. Make sure the car is over 100mm from the ground for all points (incl. exhuast).
2. Make sure the pod filter is attached to the car with a bracket
3. Make sure the tint is legal or removed completely.
4. Make sure the car is clean and free of oil stains or leaks.

Contact the pits about any permits you may need (i.e. coilovers, pod filter etc). Then take it over and find out what they say.

I'd wait for them to say it needs engineering before going down that costly path.

Voot 12-10-2011 01:13 PM

Too right ^^ That sounds like the way to go :)

MarcPec 12-10-2011 01:21 PM

1) Passed the pits with my VR4 on D2 coilovers and he didnt say a thing (o'connor) - and they were bright purple :O! - they were more concerned about exhaust & oil leaks.

2) Bracket sounds easy enough, what about it not having a AFM/MAF - I assumed it was something they'll look for with regards to emissions.

3) Looked like stock standard tint

4) Was apparently recently rebuilt and after leaving it to run for 15min when checking it over, there wasn't a drop of oil to be seen - trust me i was surprised!

I guess its like i've seen over heaps of threads similar to this it really depends how nice/blind the pit inspector is.

Thanks for the advice Voot/Kato really appreciate some direction on this - I do wonder if it would be cheaper in the long run to get a stock manifold, turbo, exhaust and air box to get her over?

Jeckle 12-10-2011 01:43 PM

Umm that was quick, 25 minutes from post to pits to post.

Kato 12-10-2011 01:44 PM

If the car is basically good to go and you have time to waste at the pits, I'd try it first. If it passes, great!

Can always revert back to stock later if it is too hard to pass.

RXqME 12-10-2011 03:09 PM

[QUOTE=Jeckle;616726]Umm that was quick, 25 minutes from post to pits to post.[/QUOTE]

Lol he mentioned he "passed the pits in his VR4" not the wrx he's talking about! :p

tiddy 12-10-2011 03:11 PM

Just take it to pits. They will give you a list of what you will need to do.
Midland have been lenient to me lately.
I have a patrol with an rb30 and they couldnt read the engine number. Didnt bother them.

MarcPec 12-10-2011 04:05 PM

Yep was using my old evil gearbox murdering, oil consuming galant vr4 as an example. Ok so I guess all I can do from here is pray the engine assessment comes up healthy so I can join this awesome community you guys have here!