Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Blown Turbo? oil leak? or coolant leak? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/45567-blown-turbo-oil-leak-coolant-leak.html)

CLARKIE 30-10-2011 10:55 PM

Blown Turbo? oil leak? or coolant leak?

Hey all,

Havn't posted in a while as ive been out with my dad on his farm, (no internet), but had my car washed today at a bikini car wash, as i was leaving i put my foot down a little and basicly since then i have had smoke coming out of the bonnet scoop.

Can't put a word to the smell, as i don't know what exactly it could be, but when i popped the bonet i was coming from behind the turbo/near the turbo and the smoke was greyish/white...

Just wondering if the most likely possibility is the turbo has blown or could it possibly be coolant/oil leak somewhere around that area?

Need to know asap as i'm back in perth and need my car to go from work and back home.

Any help will be much appreciated..

OH, and i run a 1997 MY98 GC8 WRX running 16 PSI of boost with a FMIC, 3" TBE, Pod filter and a Profec B boost controller...

Thanks, Clarkie

muggz 30-10-2011 11:01 PM

Off topic but was the bikini car wash in Autopro Malaga?

Edit: just noticed your location! id say that be the one :)

back on topic.. I think its safe to say it was the water from the car wash that prob steaming out. only way you know a turbo is on its way out is white smoke coming from the exhaust

CLARKIE 30-10-2011 11:11 PM

HAHA, yes indeed it was the malaga autopro one, missus GF was doing it =)

Steam doesn't have a funny smell if it's just water though does it? eben if it's coming off the engine? i mean, yes it did only start smoking after i had left there, but surely it would be all gone by now yes?

muggz 30-10-2011 11:15 PM

well depends how long you let the car run for.. i sometimes find if enough water comes through it could be there for a couple days.. just depends really.
I think you're pretty safe if it only did it after the wash and not leading up to it! :)

willem 30-10-2011 11:19 PM

Depends wether or not they used solvents and some of it may have gotten into the egin bay. Maybe one of their rags got sucked into the turbo, lol.

CLARKIE 30-10-2011 11:30 PM

HAH HAH willem, HILARIOUS!

why would water smell? and why would it smoke for so dang long!

MattuZ 31-10-2011 12:39 AM

jack car up and have a look?

willem 31-10-2011 06:51 AM

[QUOTE=CLARKIE;622380]HAH HAH willem, HILARIOUS!

why would water smell? and why would it smoke for so dang long![/QUOTE]

Ever noticed the smoke and smell when applying degreaser to an engin? The duration is the issue here, I agree, it shouldn't be smoking that long after. Maybe one of the hot bikini washer made sweet love to your car...I know I like a smoke after some hot action, lol.

Strubaru 31-10-2011 09:30 AM

check coolant hoses going to the turbo, very common to leak here

CLARKIE 31-10-2011 12:05 PM

Willem i have only ever heard of women having a smoke after hot action which scares me a little...

I've had a look now underneath and it looks like oil or grease from the steering rack is spraying onto the dump pipe which is causing smoke.

Taking it to MMS at 2 PM before work =) cheers for the help guys