Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 07:58 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Ashby at standard level
Default Brake Pads to suit DBA rotor

Hey guys,

My front rotors are warped and are causing shuddering on braking which I can feel through the steering wheel. Mechanic has driven the car and says it is the rotors so new rotors it is.

I'm going to order the DBA Street Series Slotted rotors for my MY00 WRX.

DBA Street Series Slotted (Fronts) WRX/Forester - DBA

My queston is, what brake pads should I be buying to suit the DBA rotors? My mechanic said to go ceramic as it reduces dust and has better durability. I've read some threads of people saying to get Bendix Ultimates, and some saying Ferodo DS2000.

I need a pad that is really good in quality, and is suitable to street driving, i.e. I don't want to have to warm my brakes up for them to be most effective. Brake pads that need no warming up is my preference. I don't race, and don't intend to race, so I don't need a pad that has high brake fade resistance while having a short life span. At most I will brake hard for a period of a couple minutes, nothing that any wrx owner wouldn't do.

Thanks for any suggestions/information . And yes I have searched the forums and read a lot of contradicting opinions. For example, I've seen people say EBC greens are amazing and some say that they are shit and create a huge squel.

EDIT: Sorry, past owner said rotors had been machined, and if done on a normal lathe, it is almost im possible the have both sides of the rotor parellel to each other, hence the warpage.

Last edited by Ashby; 01-12-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

It's pretty hard if not impossible to warp rotors. I've heard of people reporting they have warped a 326mm STI Brembo rotors. When picking one of these up, it's really quite hard to believe - they are just massive.

Not saying you shouldn't get new rotors, just be aware of what leads up to causing the shudder in the front brakes.

I know you're running the smaller 316mm rotors, but still.

Have a read, There's no such thing as 'warped' brake rotors - Orlando Autos | Examiner.com

My 2c.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Flat Four Father

ALEX. knows their stuff

Well lots of people here have tried the QFM A1RM pads and are happy. I have them on my rex currently and they do have that 'good from cold' feel. I used them for some sprints, superkhanas etc and they were good after the first corner. I took them to Collie racetrack and... well in short they are fine for pan stuff and sprints but not long, proper track work I would say (Collie is hard on brakes though). But that's my experience mixed with what I have read from a few other people. Since you don't do a lot/any motorsport, these seem like a good option for you.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Subaru Tech Division

redlib at standard level

To be honest if its just street purpose, i would just get bendix cts, if you get the ultimates, you will find they might squeal a bit.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:15 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Ashby at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX View Post
It's pretty hard if not impossible to warp rotors. I've heard of people reporting they have warped a 326mm STI Brembo rotors. When picking one of these up, it's really quite hard to believe - they are just massive.

Not saying you shouldn't get new rotors, just be aware of what leads up to causing the shudder in the front brakes.

I know you're running the smaller 316mm rotors, but still.

Have a read, There's no such thing as 'warped' brake rotors - Orlando Autos | Examiner.com

My 2c.
The past owner had the rotors skimmed, and I think the skimming is what has most likely caused the rotor to be warped, I've been told you can only skim the rotor once or twice at most, and rather than skimming I'd rather have a new pair of front rotors as they will need to be replaced in the near future anyway.

And I've heard from multiple people that if you skim a rotor without the proper machinery, i.e. something that ensures both sides stay parellel to each other, then the rotors will eventually cause brake shudder.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Flat Four Father

Rexxar at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Rexxar

For the cost of the AR1M you might as well and it almost half the cost of a Ferodo DS2500 pad and about the same performance too.

I run Acre Super fighter on my rears and Ferodo DS2500 on front all on stock OEM rotors.

Its all due for a change soon.. will swap it out with Slotted DBA4000 and Pagid pads
Old 02-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Vendor

gslrallysport at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX View Post
It's pretty hard if not impossible to warp rotors.
^ This by eleventy billlion.

What people associate with 'warped' rotors is actually something called disc thickness variation where pad material has been laid onto the rotor unevenly, caused by crappy pads or wheel bearings with excessive float, or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX. View Post
Well lots of people here have tried the QFM A1RM pads and are happy. I have them on my rex currently and they do have that 'good from cold' feel. I used them for some sprints, superkhanas etc and they were good after the first corner. I took them to Collie racetrack and... well in short they are fine for pan stuff and sprints but not long, proper track work I would say (Collie is hard on brakes though).
Collie is particularly hard... There's heaps of tracks where even in quite fast cars they're fine. If you do come to the limitation of them, best to step up to the QFM Comp 9, or something from Project Mu.

Quote:
Since you don't do a lot/any motorsport, these seem like a good option for you.
If you want something that pretty high end, but not quite track, then something like Remsa at 650 degrees (which sits between HPX and A1RM) is a good option, and what we typically supply as a trade servicing pad for high end Euro sports cars like Porsche/Ferrari etc. To suit MY99 would be $89 and $79 front/rear respectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashby View Post
I'd rather have a new pair of front rotors as they will need to be replaced in the near future anyway.
There's a stack of Subaru stuff on clearance at the moment out of DBA! Alot of it can be found in our trader section, but the points of interest to suit MY99 would be:

- Front 5000 Series Slotted $292.98 per rotor
- Front 5000 Series Cross Drilled $222.75 per rotor (not a typo!)
- Front 4000 Series Cross Drilled $184.80 per rotor
- Rear 4000 Series Slotted $138.60 per rotor
- Rear Street Series Slotted $97.02 per rotor

Front Street Series Slotted are available at $79.20 per rotor if purchased with the clearance street series rears, or $99 each on their own. The later of which would be in the new 'T2' design.

Quote:
And I've heard from multiple people that if you skim a rotor without the proper machinery, i.e. something that ensures both sides stay parellel to each other, then the rotors will eventually cause brake shudder.
Sounds like a cop out to me. If a rotor is turning whilst being skimmed, it would be very to not be in parallel. A more likely cause is improper mounting or cleaning of the hub face prior to machining...
Old 02-12-2011, 11:39 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Ashby at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslrallysport View Post

Sounds like a cop out to me. If a rotor is turning whilst being skimmed, it would be very to not be in parallel. A more likely cause is improper mounting or cleaning of the hub face prior to machining...
Then why would my rotor be causing brake shudder once being machined? I've heard it from various sources, not just saying this cause "my dad" told me haha. The proper skimming machines do both sides of the rotor at once where as a lot of people have one side done at once which means keeping both sides parellel is almost impossible, which considering mine have been skimmed, and now I am getting brake shudder, it all makes sense to me.

Anyways how much can you do the DBA Street Series Front Rotor as a pair delivered? Or do you have a store that I can pick up from? cheers
Old 02-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Vendor

gslrallysport at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashby View Post
sense
Pft, you're not allowed to have that in the automotive industry!

Quote:
Anyways how much can you do the DBA Street Series Front Rotor as a pair delivered?
Pair of front street series would be $198 plus $15 shipping. (ie $213 delivered for both).

Quote:
Or do you have a store that I can pick up from?
We do, but it's a little far away to pickup from!
unit 5, 14 buttonwood place willawong qld - Google Maps
Old 17-12-2014, 11:04 AM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Thread revival.

I have DBA T3-4000 single piece slotted rotors on my STi - usual brembo spec sizes. They have developed some shudder when braking from 90-100km/hr. They have done around 150 laps of the RAC track so I am assuming the above explanation about pad material depositing is the issue.
I'm hoping a skim should sort this out. Can anyone recommend someone in the north - Joondalup/Wangara please.

Also I have heard slotted rotors are more expensive to machine, can anyone confirm?

Cheers.

Last edited by nick73; 17-12-2014 at 11:05 AM.

Tags
brake, dba, pads, rotor, suit