Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Help with Jdm halfcut transplant not starting (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/46346-help-jdm-halfcut-transplant-not-starting.html)

extra260 11-12-2011 07:59 PM

Help with Jdm halfcut transplant not starting

Hi Guys, I have just finished transplanting a 94 jdm wrx Gc8 half cut into my Gc6 impreza. I have transplanted everything from the halfcut engine ,g/box harness suspension, the only thing i re used is my dash top because it was in better condition. The Question I have is today I went to start it up for the first time it wouldn't fire up. I checked that I had fuel pump pressure, She definitely has spark as i pulled out a plug and earthed it and it is definitely sparking. there is power at the injectors and it cranks over but will only fire if i put a dribble of fuel in the plenum chamber through a vacuum line. Checked the maf sensor. And i am just about to Manually read the ECU codes of Rossco's post.

Any ideas ?:confused:

johnvk7 11-12-2011 08:26 PM

Are the injectors actually pulsing? just because they have power doesn't mean they are pulsing and injecting fuel.
Off-topic, but did you make sure your rear diff is the right ratio for the front diff?

seagull 11-12-2011 10:29 PM

be mindfull if a half cut sit around for a long time the injectors block & the fuel rails come full of yellow jelly.

extra260 11-12-2011 11:00 PM

jdm halfcut

The injectors are not pulsing. but when i put fuel in the plenum chamber she fires for a bit. And yeh i have got the same ratio in the rear as in the front.

I would say it has been sitting for a fair while, I thought that the Ecu may not be firing the pulses to the injectors but I hadn't thought that the injectors and rail may be blocked with yellow gunk. what's the best way to approach cleaning the gunk out? can you get the injectors etc out without taking off the manifold?

Cheers for your help guys , Clive :)

seagull 11-12-2011 11:14 PM

You can get the injectors out, just take your time as the o rings may be swollen.

You can rig up a injector cleaner once hey are out by wiring the terminals & powering the injector. When the injector is the open position. you get a can of throttle body cleaner, remove the tip ( the piece you would normally push down with your finger ) and sit the injector on top. This is the outlet of the injector. Then push down so the contents of the can flows into the injector. This most times is a winner with the half cuts I have had with a stuck injector.

I have all ways done this with a injector plug fitted to the injector rather than bare wires. I then move the battery well away and insure there is no ignition source.

Did you check the gear box code to insure the rear diff is correct ?

extra260 12-12-2011 10:01 AM

help with Jdm Half cut

Hi Seagull, Thanks for your help that sounds pretty straight forward. When I finish cleaning them should i replace the injector O-rings?

I checked the code on the diff and it is fine. The good thing is that my impreza was Auto and the aust autos came out with a 4.11 on the 1800, and the jdm M/T Code says that it is a 4.11 . checked both codes against spec from factory manual so should be fine. rear diff code was (VA1REE-XA) front was( EF-TY752VB3AA.:)

Cheers Clive

seagull 13-12-2011 12:46 AM

yes mate , use factory or source Vition ( FPM ) o rings

extra260 15-12-2011 10:51 PM

Half cut not starting

Hi Guys, I am still having trouble with my engine not starting. I have cleaned the injectors put new viton orings on them and put them back in but she still won't fire. The injectors are definitely pulsing and delivering fuel, after a couple of cranks I can smell fuel in the tail pipe. I have taken out the plugs again and i have spark and they are wet with fuel. I have run a diagnostics on the ECU as per Rossco's instructions but no fault codes are coming up. just checked the resistance on the crankshaft and camshaft sensors and the resistance is not reading what it should. It says in my factory manual that the resistance of the crankshaft and camshaft should be 2,040+or-200 ohms But the crankshaft sensor is reading 1400 and the camshaft sensor is reading 1680 does this mean they are stuffed or what.

Oh and I just checked the cam timing and all the marks are where they should be. Help guys getting pretty frustrated here. Clive:(

seagull 16-12-2011 12:50 AM

best thing to do would be change the sensors out with known working ones.

Maxes would not start the other day, the cam sensor plug was not pushed in all the way.

Also check the key barrel on the half cut. I dont recall 94 jdm having a switch on the barrel that has a cable that goes back to the ecu. But just have a look its a white switch with a black cable that runs out of it. It would fit a plug on harness located on the steering column. If this is not connected it will not start.

Rossco 16-12-2011 01:25 AM

Is the ecu harness out of the original car or the front cut?