Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Shutter while driving (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/47938-shutter-while-driving.html)

Typhon 12-03-2012 07:43 PM

Shutter while driving

Over the last 2 days I've noticed a bit of a shutter while the clutch is fully engaged with no acceleration (usually in 2nd or 3rd). While idling there is no shutter.

When the pressure is off and revs are low (while moving) it seems to be struggling. It's worse when the A/C is on too.

Car has recently been Verso tuned (last month) at ASG and is unmodified besides a TBE. It had a heavy duty clutch installed 20k kms ago. Car is driven quite conservatively too as a daily.

Any ideas / reasons to be concerned?

squid 12-03-2012 09:24 PM

more than likely your clutch.
how bad (forcefull/power hindering & how quick is the shudder??)

karina2009 12-03-2012 09:46 PM

the clutch plates?? i know heavy duty twin plates make that noise when still

Typhon 13-03-2012 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=squid;660009]more than likely your clutch.
how bad (forcefull/power hindering & how quick is the shudder??)[/QUOTE]

I actually haven't really noticed any difference in the performance. Grip seems fine, and the actual clutch still feels the same. Not sure if it's not just something else rattling around...

mitchwnz 13-03-2012 12:40 PM

I'm betting it's the clutch slipping/not engaging properly.

ADO68 13-03-2012 01:51 PM

Just a thought, if its worse when the air cond is on that makes me think engine, as having the air on draws power from the engine not the clutch.

Marti 13-03-2012 06:20 PM

Makes me think your idle hasn't be set properly after the tune as the engine doesn't know how much air it needs to keep running

Dan [GTI] 14-03-2012 04:09 AM

I get a chatter when I decelerate in my car the clutch/flywheel, its a common problem with the WRX with a HD clutch due to the lower rotating mass. Not harmful in anyway if this is the problem:

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000][B]"This is a common problem, but technically not a problem at all. It's just a matter of inconsistent factory backlash in the ring-and-pinion gear. Some models do it more than others.[/B]

[B]The Subaru dealership can fix the problem, but not with performance in mind. The dealership will replace the factory flywheel with a heavier model to keep the gearbox loaded, thus eliminating a decelerating noise.[/B]

[B]Going the opposite direction with the flywheel weight will not get rid of the noise, nor will it increase it. The lighter flywheel will be noticeable in how quickly the car finds its powerband. Suggestion: Get over the noise. It's not a big deal, and certainly not worth compromising power."[/B]

[/COLOR][/LEFT]

Typhon 14-03-2012 08:41 AM

Actual idle is fine. It's more akin to what Dan is describing.

Thanks for the info guys. Will keep an eye on it and get it checked out next service.

Kato 14-03-2012 08:57 AM

[QUOTE=Typhon;660445]Will keep an eye on it and get it checked out next service.[/QUOTE]

If you think it is the clutch, take it back to whoever installed it and get them to check it asap. It is most likely fine and normal behaviour, but I would hate to wait a few thousand kms and find out I've caused other damage for the sake of just popping into a workshop to ask the question.