Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Groaning noise at speed? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/48222-groaning-noise-speed.html)

Marti 29-03-2012 09:05 PM

Could be something as simple as a noisy wheel bearing or tyres

Captain Awesome 30-03-2012 04:01 AM

Took for a test on freeway tonight, Pushed clutch in, and put in neutral noise was still there. So the general consensus is probably tires or wheel bearing?

redlib 30-03-2012 05:42 AM

The easiest way to test, jack up all four wheels and put them on stands, so the wheels are off the ground. Start it up, put it in gear and let the wheels spin. Then go round and see if you can hear the noise, you will only hear it if really fuck, if you can't then you will have to put the bearings under load and you can only do that while driving it on the road.

Captain Awesome 30-03-2012 01:05 PM

Thanks for the responses guys, Least now I have a rough idea of what to look at :)

Cheers

Strubaru 30-03-2012 01:51 PM

i went through this on my forester, replaced rear diff, noise persisted, removed the drive shafts and rear brakes to check the bearings and one of them was fubar, couldn't even feel it was stuffed with the resistance of the wheels/brakes/driveshafts, when this reistance was removed .... turning the hub you could feel it was chunked

TROLLEY 30-03-2012 01:58 PM

If she's groaning at high speed you're doing a good job son.

REXXXED 30-03-2012 02:00 PM

[QUOTE=TROLLEY;665632]If she's groaning at high speed you're doing a good job son.[/QUOTE]
I've been thinking the same thing for 2 days now!

TROLLEY 30-03-2012 03:46 PM

[QUOTE=REXXXED;665633]I've been thinking the same thing for 2 days now![/QUOTE]

Dirty bastard

Captain Awesome 30-03-2012 05:36 PM

[QUOTE=TROLLEY;665632]If she's groaning at high speed you're doing a good job son.[/QUOTE]

Was wondering how long it would take somebody to catch this ;) :violent4:

wild_rx 31-03-2012 08:44 PM

[QUOTE=redlib;665518]The easiest way to test, jack up all four wheels and put them on stands, so the wheels are off the ground. Start it up, put it in gear and let the wheels spin. Then go round and see if you can hear the noise, you will only hear it if really fuck, if you can't then you will have to put the bearings under load and you can only do that while driving it on the road.[/QUOTE]

Chances of hearing a wheel bearing at low speeds while the car is jacked up are tiny! If you jack the car up put in 4th gear and let the clutch out, it wont stall with no load. Then go around and put your hand on the struts one by one, you will be able to feel if one is rougher than the rest. The one that is rough is the one that needs a wheel bearing.

If none feel rough then your wheel bearings are ok