Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Philbo at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Philbo

Ive taken both the STI and Jess' wrx over osbourne park, passed on both cars the second inspection after we got the list nothing out of the norm and they passed my exhaust easy as and its not quiet :/ dunno why people say they are crap. Bookrd a time rocked up was out in 20mins

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
Old 25-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Sir AntiLag

squid at standard level

Got yellowed for stock bonnet scoop blocking vision, stock wing too big and 20%tint and 'not audible bov'.
pulled tint off in the garage that night and passed pits (warick) the next day with sticky windows lol
even had the yellow sticker sitting on the dash still affixed to the square of tint i cut out and stuck to paper with my ecu parking permit haha.

Passed with stock wing and scoop (durrrr constable kent - actully name lol)
bald nexen n3000's
hid lowbeam
Blue hb3 highbeam globes (give blueish/bright white light)
Gfb fx bov
Koyo rad
front lip
and jfk 3" which is pretty loud

Even got permits for the bov and exhaust

Couple of other mates have had no real dramas with warick.
Just make sure you have the right paper work for your engine numbers if changed

:)
Old 25-04-2012, 10:20 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

The Suby at standard level

Yeah I'm aware that technically I wasn't supposed to put HID's in my old style non-projector lenses but that's why I went for the lower intensity ones. Planned to revert back to normal but too lazy - my fault. I didn't like them mostly because the high beam really sucked, and also even though I got the low intensity ones they were still too bright and slightly blue in colour.

I might fill out the forms to change engine number and also to manual, although I think they can just do that as part of the inspection paperwork, that's what happened with the EJ20turbo L series I did (which was originally a 1.8 litre EA motor) and I never filled out any form for that, they just sorted it out when I took it over the pits. Might be a bit different with this one though going auto to manual.
Still got a couple of weeks to get things sorted before taking it over but I'll post up my experience.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:42 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

So I took it to Welshpool today. Ran out of time and didn't book it in anywhere and today was the last day, so I went to Welshpool which is the only one that allows you to just rock up. In line over 4 hours - apparently Fridays are busy.

I have to come back for a second inspection for a few minor things they picked up on.
- Gotta fix the passenger side electric window switch
- Can't have a space above the CD player (need to find a very rare liberty 1.5din pocket now)
- I dropped one of the bloody headlights and cracked it, was hoping they wouldn't notice, they did. I already had organised a replacement but a guy is sending it from Sydney, not expecting it till next week.
- They tested my tint as 26% visibility. I have to get the entire car re-tinted to 35% now. I thought it was a bit too dark when I got the car all those years ago and was going to proactively rectify, but two different tint places told me it looked alright so I never bothered.
- Have to put ducting around the bonnet scoop underneath. They don't like a gap incase it blows a radiator hose and something comes up onto the windscreen. The scoop is a bit redundant on my car anyway as it has FMIC but oh well.
- Have to get a permit for POD air filter and coilover suspension

I went into the permit section after and they came out and looked at the car. Gave me a stamp approval for POD and coilovers, so happy about that.

Should have all those other things sorted this week and take it over again.

Today cost $90. The second inspection should cost $68.
Not sure how much the permits are but I think about $30, I'll find out when I go back.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Jordiee at standard level

just theoretically, if you go in to the pits just to get permits, and they look at your car and don't like something, can they issue you with a defect notice?
Old 04-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Suby View Post
- Can't have a space above the CD player (need to find a very rare liberty 1.5din pocket now)
they are a standard item in the lx libs and are available still new from Subaru for around $50.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:10 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordiee View Post
just theoretically, if you go in to the pits just to get permits, and they look at your car and don't like something, can they issue you with a defect notice?
Yeah don't see why not.
My sticker was for HID's but a sticker means a full inspection.
Getting a permit wouldn't be a full inspection...but if they spot something they don't like it wouldn't surprise me if they issue a work order for a full inspection.

Yeah I know I can get those from Subaru, priced them a while ago, not keen on dropping 50 bucks on it tho. Worst thing is I wrecked an LX once and would have probably chucked that out with the leftover bits!
Old 31-05-2012, 02:39 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Update (bit late) - yellow sticker is off. Here's what happened.

First inspection was $90
Didn't pass the first go because of these reasons;
- POD filter needed a permit to be bought first
- POD filter a bit loose, needed to be more firmly bolted down
- Bonnet scoop needed holes seals (because I have no top mount intercooler the bonnet scoop wasn't actually sealing around a top mount, so that means if I blow the engine up, coolant or oil could potentially splash up onto the windscreen. That would probably happen even if I had a top mount intercooler...the radiator part on those isn't exactly water tight! but oh well).
- Needed permit for "suspension mods" (because of coilovers)
- All electric windows to work by "there" own switches. (that's what he wrote - because one of my switches was busted. It still worked from the master control but the rules say they have to work by their own switches too).
- Tint too dark. They measured my tint as 26% visibility. Was on the car when I got it and I always suspected it was borderline. 35% is the cutoff apparently.
- Cover hole above CD player (I hadn't put a pocket thingo above the CD player).
- One headlight cracked.

Just those things.
Some fair enough, some pretty darn nit-picky.

So I fixed all those up. Bit of a bugger to have the tint all peeled off...I'll have to go back and spend another $250 or so getting it re-tinted soon.

Went back for a second inspection for $60.
Got the permit guy to give me a stamp of approval for the coilovers and the pod filter and bought the permit. Note that you don't need two separate permits - just one can cover multiple items. Permit was $25.

Passed this time no worries. Pretty happy I have a couple of permits to keep in the glovebox now for future cop pullovers.

So how about all the things that are technically wrong with the car that they didn't even pick up on?

- Exhaust only has the Cat in the Ultrex turbo dump pipe....nothing else except pipe going to the rear muffler. It's pretty loud but I guess not enough to peak their interest.
- Engine number doesn't match up with what they would have on file. I swapped the old EJ20G for a much newer EJ20R and never filled out any paperwork.
- Car is an automatic on paper. I converted it to manual with a 5spd from a 2002 WRX. Still has the P R D 1 2 3 auto gear selector lights on the dash cluster too.
- Car has NO immobiliser or alarm, at all. Turn the key, it starts.

Absolutely nothing was mentioned about all that!
Old 31-05-2012, 02:58 PM
STI Master

Bob at standard level

Got details on this permit guy?
What's the process there?
Old 31-05-2012, 04:48 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Here is the official process I went through to get the permits.

Had my first inspection yellow sticker at Welshpool, which I failed and was given the piece of paper with the list of things I still needed to get one, including a note about needing a permit for POD filter and suspension mods.

Was told I should go around the corner of the admin building and through a different set of doors to the ones you go through at the front for the general area, because they will need to be the ones to issue me permits for 25 bucks.

Went in there and said to the guy "had my first inspection, they said I needed to get permits from you for POD filter and suspension mods...". Showed him the bit of paper.

The guy looked at me blankly and said "hm, the inspectors can issue you permits themselves...not sure why they sent you here....we might be able to...."
Reluctantly he listened to what my mods were. I told them I have a POD filter and my suspension mods consist solely of just a set of coilovers.

The guy told me "umm you probably need to fill out these forms....it will probably take us 6 weeks to look at them...". Gives me these forms that go into ridiculous details about modifications I've done to my car, and require engineer approvals to accompany them etc.

Told the guy "but they said at the inspection bit over there that you can just stamp my form and then I can just pay the 25 bucks for the permits....it's only a POD filter and coilovers..."

The guy umm'ed and ahh'ed and went over to confer with another guy for ages. I heard the other guy say "well you can probably issue a permit if you want to take the responsibility...."

The guy came back to me and said "okay lets have a quick look at your car".

Went out to where my car was just in the carpark. He asked me if the coilovers are just bolt-in ones. I said "yes they are". Asked me if it drives like a brick on wheels or if there is at least a bit of give in them. I said "yes, it's alot harder than a stock car of course, but it's not too bad, the inspector even commented after the test drive that it's not bad compared to other's they get over". He crouched down and took a 2 second glance at one of the rear coilovers in the wheel arch, then stood on the towbar for a second, then we went back inside.

He stamped my bit of paper and wrote "okay to issue permits" and signed/dated it.

Then when I came back for my second inspection, when I paid the $60 I also showed them that guy's stamp and they charged me another $25 for the permits.
When it passed the second inspection and they gave me the actual permit paperwork, they just added the line "coilovers must be set to height of at least 100mm".

Tags
inspected, place, sticker, yellow