Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   GDB IACV & TB into GC8 - Possible? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/48710-gdb-iacv-tb-into-gc8-possible.html)

RoughStilin 26-04-2012 12:51 PM

GDB IACV & TB into GC8 - Possible?

As the tiltle states I am wondering how to fit a GDB intake manifold into a GC8. I understand the differences in the design of the throttle body, for the IACV to be incorporated, but I am wondering can the wiring work?

I would guess that the wiring for the IACV & TPS would be different, but can the GDB IACV & TPS be incorporated into the GC8 wiring harness & be controlled by the GC8 ECU?

I have seen people using the GDB manifold with a adaptor plate to use the GC8 TB. Also cut / welding of the GC8 IACV into the GDB manifold. This works, but is there another way?

Marti 26-04-2012 03:26 PM

I was under the impression that people cancelled out the iacv valves?, why do you want to keep them also I'm pretty sure you just find the gc8 tps wiring and connect the new tps wiring to that.please correct me if I'm wrong

RoughStilin 26-04-2012 04:22 PM

The IACV controls air flow at idle due to the fact the TB is closed. I have read that people do just delete it, but their idle is shit.

Can anyone else confirm if the TPS are the same? I believe my TPS gives a 5V end of the scale voltage when fully closed & a 0V end of the scale when fully open. The plugs look to be different on the two, but are the actual pins on the connectors the same?

Kato 26-04-2012 04:23 PM

Racecar = remove IACV

Rossco 26-04-2012 04:45 PM

Both will be 0-5v potentiometers - google a pin out for the gd part number & compare ?

Mister Two 26-04-2012 05:09 PM

If the gc8 is a my99/00, you can just transfer the entire intake manifold over to the gc8.

and you get the added advantage of being able to easily run top feed injectors.

RoughStilin 26-04-2012 05:47 PM

Its a 94, although 2004 heads are going in. Will the car still idle correctly with no IACV? I'll have a look tonight at a couple more photos of the TPS & try to dig out some wiring diagrams. Hopefully the 3 pins are the same on both TPS

GX-REX 26-04-2012 05:55 PM

Speak to Neil, pretty sure that he has the setup you are trying to achieve in his lib.

trblmkr 26-04-2012 06:38 PM

I had a similar issue but a different mod.
Pre-99 GC8's IACV gets in the way of later model TMIC's
Answer I got was:
If the IACV is removed you can increase the idle slightly and it will be fine to drive.
What it wont do is adjust the idle when off throttle load is put on the engine, i.e. aircon, turning the wheels while stationary.
In these circumstances the car may stall or suffer a drop in idle speed.

I would expect your PowerFC is capable of reading the signal form a later IACV anyway.

*Disclaimer: This was in relation to a 1998.
This was from a decent work shop but was a number of years ago so my recollection of the conversation may be off.:D

tuna 26-04-2012 07:42 PM

Idle valve, no- they are totally different functionally, one is duty cycle, the other is a stepper. The throttle body wiring will work though, it might not be scaled properly though.

Trick is to just wind foward the throttle a bit with the adjustment screw.