Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Clutch slip (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/48753-clutch-slip.html)

mr_rotary 28-04-2012 11:27 AM

Clutch slip

Hi all

It seems my clutch is slipping when hitting boost when cold. After about 10-15 minutes of driving when there is a bit more heat in the car, it doesn't seem to slip anymore. I have a stock MY01 WRX that's done 185 thou km's. Bo idea if clutch has been replaced in the past.

Is this a sign clutch is on the way out or something more?

If on way out, who to recommend and what sort of cost am I looking at?

ewrxion87 28-04-2012 12:29 PM

park your car on flat ground - stick it in 4th or 5th and try and take off, if your revs go right up like your in neutral its on its way out. The car should stall. otherwise get your throw bearing checked. $85 for a new one. Also see how long ago you had clutch fluid bled might need new fluids - new fluids always help.

is the pedal shuttering on shift change ? as the pedal comes up ?

is the pedal squishy the first inch or so then firm ?

is your car sqeeking like a mouse under the bonnet when your sitting and not moving with the clutch disengaged ? and then when you engage the clutch the noise goes away ?
if your car has done 185 without a clutch change i would say thats extremely impressive but id assume it has if your the second owner ?

Qu3xy 28-04-2012 12:29 PM

Pour some coke onto the clutch. The sugar will make the clutch more sticky.

ewrxion87 28-04-2012 12:30 PM

ps - new clutch installed at Evo R i think specials are running for $650 to 900 fitted depending on the type of clutch your after. Mao at Evo R is your man.

mr_rotary 28-04-2012 05:02 PM

[QUOTE=ewrxion87;672931]park your car on flat ground - stick it in 4th or 5th and try and take off, if your revs go right up like your in neutral its on its way out. The car should stall. otherwise get your throw bearing checked. $85 for a new one. Also see how long ago you had clutch fluid bled might need new fluids - new fluids always help.

is the pedal shuttering on shift change ? as the pedal comes up ?

is the pedal squishy the first inch or so then firm ?

is your car sqeeking like a mouse under the bonnet when your sitting and not moving with the clutch disengaged ? and then when you engage the clutch the noise goes away ?
if your car has done 185 without a clutch change i would say thats extremely impressive but id assume it has if your the second owner ?[/QUOTE]
Tried the 4th gear trick and stalled so all good. First thing I did yesterday was check the level of the clutch fluid. Correct level but far from clear. Looking through all my receipts I can't see when the last time it was replaced so this is the first thing I will do tomorrow.

As for your other questions has none of those symptoms.

I also re-checked my receipts as I've owned the vehicle since 2009 and 125 thou km's. I have receipts back to 75 thou and no sign of a clutch change. However having owned heavy duty clutches before, it does feel heavy for a stock clutch so it may of been replaced some time in it's past? Just no receipt of it.

Coke trick, that's a new one!

RoughStilin 28-04-2012 05:59 PM

Do the 4th / 5th gear trick again, but this time do it at 60kph. Get upto 60kph in 4th or 5th gear and floor it (on a safe section of road of course) pretty much as soon as you hit max boost / make the most torque the cutch should slip if it's cactus, & in turn your rpm increase quicker than it should.

Pimpreza 28-04-2012 05:59 PM

You should NEVER be on boost with a cold motor/box, give it time to warm up or it'll be dead in no time.

mr_rotary 29-04-2012 07:38 AM

[QUOTE=Pimpreza;673028]You should NEVER be on boost with a cold motor/box, give it time to warm up or it'll be dead in no time.[/QUOTE]I use the expression 'cold' as in a couple of minutes down the road when car is at temp but not fully warmed up :cool:

Shaun 29-04-2012 09:11 AM

If the clutch i slipping then there is no two ways about it realy, Just start ringing around for quotes, Off the top of my head a clutch kit is about $700 for std plus fitting if you are using the standard box and you give the car shit then stay with the standard clutch or you highten the chances of your box going bang.

Jordiee 29-04-2012 11:23 AM

[QUOTE=mr_rotary;673129]I use the expression 'cold' as in a couple of minutes down the road when car is at temp but not fully warmed up :cool:[/QUOTE]

at temp but not warmed up?

i am confuse