Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   looks like i am building an engine, spun big end (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/49156-looks-like-i-am-building-engine-spun-big-end.html)

jesster 20-05-2012 10:53 PM

looks like i am building an engine, spun big end

My 94 GC8 WRX spun a big end bearing on friday :(
i think a life of slack maintenance from it's previous owners and probably having been given a good thrashing or two in it's life has finally caught up with it.

anyway, now i have to fix it. or one of my other engines. I have an EJ207 which seems in reasonable nick other than that it has also had a bottom end failure so i am thinking i might put my money and time into that rather than the EJ20G that is in my car. How would i go installing that in my car?

the heads on the 207 seem good, so i'll probably just leave them alone and do bottom end work to get it up to scratch.

thinking it's going to need a crank, rods, pistons, bearings and of course gaskets and seals.
where do you guys go for this type of stuff, i would happily buy from overseas if it can save me some $ seeing as i can't buy locally because of where i live. and what do i need to look out for to be sure of compatibility? and what brands should i be looking at? i don't have a heap of cash but should have enough to get by.

P.S has anyone ever ordered from CI motorsports, they seem to have everything i need at reasonable prices, perhaps too good to be true??

mARC 20-05-2012 10:56 PM

[url=http://realstreetperformance.com/store/]Real Street Performance Engine Parts, Pistons Rods Cams Valvetrain and More[/url]

Would have made a nice saving on some of the sundry items I purchased when replacing my engine.

Marti 21-05-2012 06:56 AM

I would buy genuine subaru seals and gaskets, acl bearings also look at high octane racing in sydney.

Saint_23 21-05-2012 07:18 AM

If you have questions or need some advice, give STechnic workshop here in Perth a call.

GX-REX 21-05-2012 08:17 AM

What year was the 207 out of? The 207 was only an oem fit in STIs from 99 onwards afaik. 94 heads have a different bolt pattern to anything 99 and up so while you can bolt heads up, the inlet won't fit. You can use the 207 manifold if you want to rewire the whole car.

Personally, I'd get a brand new 207 short block, a set of v3 STI heads and bolt on your existing inlet manifold.

jesster 21-05-2012 05:55 PM

the buy a new short block option is a very expensive one for me due to shipping to where i live. it will cost me around a grand to get one from perth to here by air freight or wait 3 months for a ship and still pay about $500. the 207 was from a 99 STi, i have the entire engine here with me. so the heads are interchangeable but the manifolds are not?

i am quite keen on doing the work myself. besides i wouldn't trust anyone else here to do it. i am not looking for a particularly high horsepower car. i just want to bring it back to life so that it is reliable and still goes well enough to have fun. don't think i really want to rewire the whole car, auto electrics and me don't get along heaps well.

I have bought Parts from STechnic before and they are very friendly and helpful, so i guess i'll try and support them as much as i can too.

GX-REX 21-05-2012 06:06 PM

How much is it going to cost you to rebuild the 99 motor? New short block can be had for around $2k now so even if it is $500 for airfreight it's still good bang for buck.

The 94 heads will bolt onto any EJ engine afaik.

jesster 21-05-2012 06:29 PM

excuse my ignorance, what afaik?

GTB Liberty 21-05-2012 06:38 PM

[QUOTE=jesster;679776]excuse my ignorance, what afaik?[/QUOTE]

AFAIK = As Far As I Know.

jesster 21-05-2012 07:59 PM

sweet, a new piece of forum lingo for me.

Still thinking i would like to build the short motor myself, do you think i will really have to go with new conrods. i have others lying around in ok condition with new bearings on the new crankshaft do you reckon that would go ok. i'm not going to be trying to produce huge horsepower. i just want an engine that i can run around 1 bar boost or around that. and i'd like to be able to drive it around however i please without having to worry too much about failing internals.