Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Clunking noise on front passanger when accelerating (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/50030-clunking-noise-front-passanger-when-accelerating.html)

Mr. GC8 11-07-2012 04:38 PM

Clunking noise on front passanger when accelerating

Hi guys!

Can somembody help me I have 97 gc8 and I recently stuffed up my centre diff on my gearbox. My brother and I just found a replacement second hand 4.44 gearbox for my ride..

Anyway while taking off the cv joints out we forgot it had pins to release
For the gear box and we gave it a good tug for a while but didnt realise that we forgot to knock out the pins anyway we eventually got it out and replaced the gear box..
we took if for a test drive and on 3rd gear I took my foot of the gas an applyed the brakes and it made a thumping vibration at the front of the car so i completely stop the car to check it out for any damage to car not seeing anything wrong we drove it home and all the noise vibrations went away...
The next day we took it for another test and now when I accelerate theres a clunk, clunk noise at the front passanger side for about 1second after take off...can any help me and tell whats wrong? Could it be because we tugged on the cvjoints when we replacing the gearbox? Theres no tear on the cv joints boots and visually I cant see the problem...please help me?

steenler 11-07-2012 04:43 PM

Make sure you put the CV's in the correct way, when lining up the holes for the pins they only fit in one way, sometimes you can knock the pin in without correct allignment but wont be easy to insert pins causing the CV to be incorrectly lined up.

If this is the case then you need to rotate the CV's 180 and insert the pins although am not sure if any damage has been caused fitting them incorrectly.

Avalanche 11-07-2012 06:21 PM

Is 4.44 the sti gearbox? What drivetrain do you have?

Strubaru 11-07-2012 06:25 PM

just checking but you changed the rear diff to suit yeah?

tuna 11-07-2012 09:36 PM

Shit is loose, get it it on jack stands and tighten things up.

Or youve ruined the cv, pull it out, disassemble the inner cup and replace what is smashed.

ALPHA 11-07-2012 11:25 PM

Sounds like the CV.

Also check your springs, when the car is jacked up they can move around causing all sorts of problems. "done that"

Kato 12-07-2012 08:30 AM

As above, have a look for something loose.

The next issue is you have a 97 WRX and have installed a 4.44 box. Did you change the rear diff to suit?

Mr. GC8 12-07-2012 10:30 AM

Well im the new owner and the guy that sold to me just said that it had 4.44 sti gear box dont know about the rear diff though,I spun the rear wheel and and both seems to spin in the same direction so it has LSD thats all I know,i think...
How do know if the rear diff 4.44 ratio with ripping it out?

Ok thanks for the feed back guys
Its a new day so im gonna get under my rex to check out all your tips......

Mr. GC8 12-07-2012 10:38 AM

I will check the cv, and the springs again...i just hope it isnt the gearbox

Rossco 12-07-2012 11:14 AM

If you killed 1 centre diff I'd say your rear diff is the wrong ratio...

How did you kill the old centre diff out of interest?