Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

endlesshysteria at standard level
Default Anyone up for doing a 2006 WRX clutch install?

Hi guys,

I have well and truly done the clutch in the 06 to the point she barely moves and won't go uphill. I am pretty keen to do this myself so that I know how to do it in future but have read it is much easier to do by taking the engine out and I don't have an engine hoist. Also I don't want to get in a jam where it is in pieces and I have no idea what to do next.

Is there anyone around Northern suburbs (close to Innaloo if possible as she doesn't drive well at all) that would be interested in helping out one weekend in a few weeks by me bringing it to you and doing the clutch while I assist where possible?

I obviously hope to avoid paying the world and will supply food and beers for the day. Any takers?

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 16-08-2012, 05:07 PM
STI Master

scary knows their stuff

ummm no you do not take the engine out to do a clutch change

12.463 1/4 mile, not bad for an old school Liberty [DECEASED]

MY08 Liberty Tuned by STi
Old 16-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

It is not an easy job, a big mac and 6 pack aint covering it unless you find a homeless dude who used to be a Subaru mechanic.
rexcited and Damo69 like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 16-08-2012, 05:16 PM

I am aware you don't have to take the engine out to do it but have read it is easier especially if you have never done one before. And if there is someone willing to assist, it will be easier to do this than jack it up high enought to get under.

I didn't say it would be food and beer only, just that this would also be covered. I said I didn't want to pay the world, not nothing.
Old 16-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

The closest to a homeless Subaru mechanic would be Doug from STechnic, as he smells pretty much the same as a homeless guy.. might be worth paying him a visit.
Kato, AWDmoke, Mister Two and 5 others like this.
Old 16-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Sir AntiLag

rstasy at standard level

I can smash one out in about 5/6 hours on my own with no assistance, but it's all dependent on your flywheel condition as it may need machining - which can hold you up; especially if it's on a weekend as ABS/Machinist Shops won't be open

You can do it on a driveway with a good jack and jackstands but a hoist is ideal.

I don't know if I can be bothered giving my weekends away but I might just consider it, provided you're the type to actually get involved, rather than 'oh yeah i'll chuck on beer and food and shovel you a hundred bucks or something' whilst you stand back and scratch your ass whilst I bust a nut trying to line up the input shaft.

Different story if you're paying me the equivalent of what you'd pay a properly equipped workshop with a hoist to do the whole job solo.

Otherwise.. Doug at STechnic. I'm sure he has contacts for some cheap towies that should be able to get your car to maddington in no time.
Old 16-08-2012, 05:48 PM

Cheers Balistic. Normally Doug would do all my work but really looking to learn to do it myself hence looking for someone to assist.

Rstasy if you could have a think about it and let me know. I'm not one of those guys at all, my ass doesn't get that itchy I really am keen to learn how to do it rather than always relying on mechanics when it really doesn't seem that difficult once you have done it before.

Flywheel will need a machine as it was drive a fair bit when she was on the way out so this may factor in your decision. I appreciate you even considering it mate. Let me know when you can.

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 16-08-2012, 06:26 PM
STI Master

Marti at standard level

no need to remove engine, if you have an after market exhaust/ dump(no heat shields) i could pull one out in around 45-60 mins (at work). Problem is its alot harder to do while your on your back in a garage. take it to a listed work shop and get them to do it.Yes your flywheel will need a machine because you have been driving it with a f*cked clutch plate

Car: C Red S13 Silvia 2.3l 400+rwhp-SOLD
Daily ae82 4age corolla (light mods)-Sold
Daily:SWB GQ Patrol
Will be a 03-04 STI next

Last edited by Marti; 16-08-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 16-08-2012, 09:37 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

I can remember as a kid helping my uncle change the clutch on his V8 HQ in the driveway. Amongst the skinned knuckles, rounded off bolts, gear oil soaked clothes and broken tools one phrase springs to mind....."those damn mechanics earn their $18 an hour"

Of course you pay a lot more than $18/hr today but the moral of the story remains the same. If you want to DIY a job on your car, do something easy and let people who do it for a living tackle the awkward or precision stuff. The labour on a clutch job is usually only 4 hours, so you're only potentially saving $440 or so. You could well end up causing more than that in damage if you bugger it up.

I had one last week, the guy did his own clutch and used the wrong parts and it wouldn't release. He had to do it all again.
monkeee likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to dtrally For This Useful Post:
GTB Liberty (17-08-2012)
Old 17-08-2012, 01:55 PM
STI Master

Andy at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
It is not an easy job, a big mac and 6 pack aint covering it unless you find a homeless dude who used to be a Subaru mechanic.
Hey, Im pretty much unemployed. And you know how good I am on my back under subaru's

And I smell...

Tags
2006, clutch, install, wrx