Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Wastegate flutter? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/51577-wastegate-flutter.html)

Tony 21-10-2012 10:44 AM

Wastegate flutter?

Hey. Does anyone else experience wastegate flutter in their 06/07 rex? How loud is it could someone maybe record it for me? Ive searched youtube, all i found where people with boost leaks claiming its waste flutter.

I thought i had an uppipe leak but after changing the gaskets the noise is still their. I tightened the actuator 2 turns and it got ris of alot of the noise but i was experiencing boost spiking so i wound it back to original spec. So i have narrowed the noise down to being something to do with the wastegate.

Captain Awesome 21-10-2012 11:08 AM

I currently experience this in my Evo, but i've done a heap of research and the noise "can" be normal depending on the setup and car you have. Though that said, I used to own an 07 STI and didn't experience this.

Do a search on "compressor surge", watch a couple vids on it, as this could very likely be your issue.

Tony 21-10-2012 11:22 AM

Its not happening when i take my foot of the pedal. Only when i accelerate.

Master D 21-10-2012 11:29 AM

Boost controller doing its job?

Street Tyre Ladened Slow Bugeye

Tony 21-10-2012 11:34 AM

Dunno. Its completely stock except for a 3"tbe and fuel pump. I was thinking of installing a manual boost control To stop any boost spike then winding the actuator preload up?

SCOOTER 21-10-2012 12:16 PM

True compressor surge only happens under acceleration.
You say its stock and the wastegate quietened it down so maybe the wastegate diaphragm is leaking or the spring has gone weak. I'd start by putting on a new actuator and hp from there.

EDIT: a manual boost controller won't do a great job at controlling boost spikes.
An ebc will though.

Tony 21-10-2012 02:37 PM

Ok another question. Is it common for the wastegate shaft to leak? When i took my heat shield of the turbo their was a patch of exhaust stain about to fifty cent coins big where the wastegate shaft enters the turbine houseing?

SCOOTER 21-10-2012 03:20 PM

How many Kms on the turbo? I've never seen that before.
The noise could be the exhaust gases leaking from there.
Pull the actuator rod off and see how much play is in the shaft.

Jez 21-10-2012 03:29 PM

I have a MY08 WRX and my car makes a flutter sound as well 2500 - 3000rpm when accelerating. The turbo spins up which sounds great then the ticking/flutter/leak starts up :-( My TBE was fitter by stechnic and its been back to check the noise. They took the dump off and said it was leaking a bit from the dump gasket. They replaced that but i can still hear it. Its not a noticeable now but its still there. I will take it back when i get a chance.

Keen to see if the actuator fixes the problem.

Jez

Tony 21-10-2012 03:31 PM

The car only has 43xxx on it. Also if it is leaking from the wastegate shaft where o get a new houseing? I was given a complete trubo off a 2000 gc8 but im sure its the same as whats on my 2.5L