Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Exhaust popping on deceleration (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/52129-exhaust-popping-deceleration.html)

Tony 02-12-2012 08:48 PM

Exhaust popping on deceleration

Hey guys, got a ultrex 3" TBE and had EVO R re-flash the car so it doesnt run lean with the new exhaust. Anyway when im driving and the car decelerates i can hear a popping noise coming from the exhaust. Is this a normal thing to happen after fitting a bigger exhaust? Is it going to damage anything?

Dan [GTI] 02-12-2012 08:52 PM

[QUOTE=Tony;724648]Hey guys, got a ultrex 3" TBE and had EVO R re-flash the car so it doesnt run lean with the new exhaust. Anyway when im driving and the car decelerates i can hear a popping noise coming from the exhaust. Is this a normal thing to happen after fitting a bigger exhaust? Is it going to damage anything?[/QUOTE]

The exhaust would have less baffling and mufflers, so you are going to get the pops and crackles on deceleration. Plus the retune would be putting extra fuel into the motor... So yes, normal :) enjoy

Tony 02-12-2012 08:58 PM

Thanks. Thats what i was thinking, just had to ask as my knowledge is fairly limited.

munya 02-12-2012 08:59 PM

Normal you should hear my bug...abusing anti-lag

Brett Allan 02-12-2012 09:06 PM

feather the throttle for more pops and bangs...good for scaring old people as you drive by...

Dan [GTI] 02-12-2012 09:12 PM

[QUOTE=Brett Allan;724659]feather the throttle for more pops and bangs...good for scaring old people as you drive by...[/QUOTE]

[I]For maximum effect install 13BPP + straight-pipes[/I] :rolleyes:

There was a Series 1 RX7 at Woopass about 3 weeks ago in the public carpark. Cold start it was popping and crackling at idle... he probs needed to fill up 2-4 times on the way home too :D

DukeDrifter 02-12-2012 09:19 PM

Take the cat out and enjoy more :P

Kato 02-12-2012 09:20 PM

With cats and what not in the way, it shouldn't pop all the time. Popping to me usually means excess fuel. Possibly wise to have the fuel maps checked over.

TROLLEY 02-12-2012 09:49 PM

I scare the kids and parents in the school carpark with my deceleration snap, crackle, pop. Only happens in first gear decel though. However, I can get snap, crackle, pop in 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 4th gear changes. As Kato said, I suspect it's excess fuel being burnt off. Strange though given the AFR's on my dyno print out seem to be far from "rich".

98kellrs 02-12-2012 10:22 PM

I assume by deceleration you mean on overrun? Pretty normal, my understanding is that it is caused by an excess of fuel being injected into the hot cylinder which then vapourises and 'pops'. Its used as a cooling mechanism but shouldnt be excessively loud if you have all your cats and mufflers in place. Have a look at the tune, or get Mao to have a look.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2