Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Blowing the dipstick out? :S (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/53385-blowing-dipstick-out-s.html)

lachy294 11-02-2013 06:46 PM

[QUOTE=Strubaru;737674]check pcv valve & your catch can lines, sounds obviously like your crankcase has pressurized, if all of the above are ok its time for a new donk/rebuild[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=teejay;737677]If its got really good comp I would be checking for a blocked pcv.[/QUOTE]

Cheers guys, will go have a look at them.

Just on the off chance someone near by has a compression tester, could i please borrow it?

Reverb 11-02-2013 08:14 PM

Engine oil level? Real simple but sometimes overlooked.

GX-REX 11-02-2013 08:29 PM

Could be worth putting a spring on the dipstick to keep it in place?
Wasn't blowing any smoke or showing any signs of hesitation while I was behind you. I'd be inclined to check or replace the PCV.

Saint_23 11-02-2013 08:42 PM

[QUOTE=Reverb;737708]Engine oil level? Real simple but sometimes overlooked.[/QUOTE]

It's Lachy, not Phil.

dtrally 11-02-2013 09:05 PM

Does it sound normal when initially starting up? ie; if it has a torched piston it will noticably miss a beat when cranking over prior to startup.
Secondly, when idling remove the oil cap and observe the amount of gas escaping. Not necessarily the pressure (as it'll go elsewhere when you block it off) but the volume of gas. If it's like an exhaust pipe you have a blown out piston (which is quite common)

Reverb 11-02-2013 09:23 PM

[QUOTE=Saint_23;737715]It's Lachy, not Phil.[/QUOTE]

Haha you never know, just putting it out there. I am have gone to alot of jobs in pit with people forgetting to checks levels and dipsticks been showing oil overfilled 4 inches

lachy294 11-02-2013 10:22 PM

[QUOTE=Reverb;737708]Engine oil level? Real simple but sometimes overlooked.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have checked it and its fine :)

[QUOTE=GX-REX;737712]Could be worth putting a spring on the dipstick to keep it in place?
Wasn't blowing any smoke or showing any signs of hesitation while I was behind you. I'd be inclined to check or replace the PCV.[/QUOTE]

Yeh could be, just want to be happy that there isn't something wrong with it first.
Felt like it was driving fine so yeah ill be checking the PCV.

[QUOTE=dtrally;737719]Does it sound normal when initially starting up? ie; if it has a torched piston it will noticably miss a beat when cranking over prior to startup.
Secondly, when idling remove the oil cap and observe the amount of gas escaping. Not necessarily the pressure (as it'll go elsewhere when you block it off) but the volume of gas. If it's like an exhaust pipe you have a blown out piston (which is quite common)[/QUOTE]

Sounds just as normal as it ever has.
OK ill have a look at that tomorrow.

Cheers guys!

jEstEr? 12-02-2013 08:51 AM

[QUOTE=GX-REX;737712]Could be worth putting a spring on the dipstick to keep it in place?[/QUOTE]

^ bandaid, need to fix the issue rather than pretend its not there

MY99GT 12-02-2013 09:08 AM

Take it to Doug

/end thread

;)

teejay 12-02-2013 09:45 AM

Id be stunned if its blown out a piston

VF12 - tiny tiny thing on less than 1 bar of boost
stock ecu
big fuel pump with parellel rails and braided lines etc