Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   mods and pits (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/53699-mods-pits.html)

Kiiz 07-03-2013 06:16 PM

mods and pits

so failed a DOT inspection today for my car that i brought over from the east coast. Got told my secured pod filter and coilovers with no strut tops needs approval which require me to fill out a 12 page mod approval application and wait 3-4 weeks min for processing. (keeping in mind i'll have to pay the full price for inspection if the car is not brought back within the month)

Ive heard of being able to obtain permit for mods x,y,z just by asking them to inspect your mods when you go over pits at a dpi, where the assessor will just go into his office and write it up for you. not sure how much truth there is to that? but if it were true, what would be the difference between that case and actually having to submit the mod ap form. i seriously dont understand how coilovers, at a legal ride height, makes a difference to any cars "roadworthness".

Since when did you need a mod permit for a well secured pod and coilovers? And do coilovers need to be engineered these days?

thanks in advance

huggy_b 07-03-2013 07:11 PM

Technically any mod you make needs approval.

Soksta 07-03-2013 07:24 PM

[QUOTE=Kiiz;741585]Since when did you need a mod permit for a well secured pod and coilovers? And do coilovers need to be engineered these days?[/QUOTE]

Thought that this was only a requirement for the Eastern States.
Used to see a lot of people asking about pods on Whingepool and the general consensus was that for RWC (Road Worthy Certificate) a pod filter had to be secured and closed off.

chevZ 07-03-2013 07:32 PM

Its funny you're posting this as i literally failed the pits today for the exact same thing (coilovers)

I know ive posted before saying nah nah you can definitely pass with coilovers thats all BS, and now im eating my words.

i'm on pretty good terms with my inspector and he explained it all to me and even showed me the document that they received from DPI/main roads a few months ago.. it pretty much went to every inspection place stating theres a change in legislation and that ALL coilovers will fail if not engineered/certified prior to the sticker inspection......... needless to say i was like 'fuck'. apparently they are being extremely strict on them and inspectors will be terminated if they don't follow it (obviously)

also did all the running around today to see what was needed and long story short it was definitely not worth the effort... picking up stock struts off stevelang tomorrow.. haha

[QUOTE=Kiiz;741585]And do coilovers need to be engineered these days?

thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Yep seems it.

Inspector also told me (unsure of truth?) that only way they will engineer them is if they cannot wind down far enough to make the car lower than 100mm.. so most people apparently weld a bead around them to stop it.. but why the shit would i want coilovers if i cant slam the car. :P

zver333 07-03-2013 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=chevZ;741596]

also did all the running around today to see what was needed and long story short it was definitely not worth the effort... picking up stock struts off stevelang tomorrow.. haha
[/QUOTE]

If you don't mind I would like to hear the full story. I intended to put coilovers on the wrx before going to the pits because they are in perfect condition vs the struts and lower coils currently fitted. A suspension upgrade with legal ride high should be encouraged not discouraged for performance car. What needs to be done to get them engineered.

Also, if an engineer has engineered a certain type (brand/model) of coilover in the past why do they need to engineer the bloody thing again? database of approved brands would be a good idea.

chevZ 07-03-2013 08:27 PM

[QUOTE=zver333;741600]If you don't mind I would like to hear the full story. I intended to put coilovers on the wrx before going to the pits because they are in perfect condition vs the struts and lower coils currently fitted. A suspension upgrade with legal ride high should be encouraged not discouraged for performance car. What needs to be done to get them engineered.

Also, if an engineer has engineered a certain type (brand/model) of coilover in the past why do they need to engineer the bloody thing again? database of approved brands would be a good idea.[/QUOTE]

Well heres my story, whether it's the same for everyone i don't know but i would suspect it.

- got sticker, thought meh can clear with coilovers.. why not! its not even slammed either!
- inspector said its not too low but he really wants to pass me but he'll lose his job with how strict it is on coilovers at the moment
- showed me the document: pretty much saying all inspection agencies are going to get reemed if they pass a single car with coilovers and no engineers cert. :(
- gave me the phone number for Vehicle Safety Services welshpool (who authorise mods) advised good luck calling them though you shuold write to them.
- called them up, sat on hold for 20minutes got transferred 4 times total and eventually someone (narky bitch) told me the process for what ill need to do and it was this:
*Print application off transport.wa.gov.au
*Mail in to vehicle safety services (snail mail only)
*Wait for confirmation and then they will review it and send an approval in principal (assuming your request/modification is 100% within specification)
*Once you get an approval in principal you can 'apply' the modification to the car legally
* you then have a specific timeframe to get to a licenced engineer which will cost you additional money to your initial pre-approval application
* the engineer will review the modification in full and if approved will provide you with another certificate stating it's all good - this will cost you additional money also
* you can then take this certificate when you go to get the yellow sticker removed and they will pass this aspect of the modification/s.

Honestly its probably not a nightmare of running around if you love/care about your car enough but I tend to go through cars quite often and considering if you're anything like me you return the car to stock to sell it, you probably don't want to waste this much time/money on it. Also the biggest "nah im not doing this" to me was the fact that this doesnt take into account if you've already got a yellow, you're under the pump time wise as it is.... if you havnt been stickered yet then may be less effort required haha

Oh and i forgot to add (but i said previously) inspector told me dont waste your time trying to engineer it if the coilover winds down to the point where your car will be 100mm or less from the ground.

Kiiz 07-03-2013 08:37 PM

[QUOTE=chevZ;741596]Its funny you're posting this as i literally failed the pits today for the exact same thing

Inspector also told me (unsure of truth?) that only way they will engineer them is if they cannot wind down far enough to make the car lower than 100mm.. so most people apparently weld a bead around them to stop it.. but why the shit would i want coilovers if i cant slam the car. :P[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you feel my pain :p was so pissed off
So what your saying is that they can't even be engineered? Looks like I will be sourcing some struts and springs then.. They may aswell make them an illegal product.. Is it possible to get them certified by one of the approved engineers on the dpi website and bring in the cert to the pits without filling out the mod approval ap. I don't get what mod approval ap is for when they end up inspecting it and writing you out a dpi mod permit anyway?

zver333 07-03-2013 08:37 PM

Car is unregistered at the moment as engine is being replaced.<-- do i need something special to prove i bought the engine if i got it as a private sale?

What is the cost of getting coilovers approved from start to finish? Its already sounding like its too much money and waste of time. So ill probably need to get a stock set, pass the pits and swap over like you.

chevZ 07-03-2013 08:41 PM

honestly mao from evor is charging me an absolute bargain to drive in, put my stock struts everything in, clear my sticker (i have an appt for the same day) then come back the next day and he puts all my coilies back in and does a wheel alignment/adjusts them to whatever height i want... im gathering because i get everything done there.. its WAY more efficient for me to do that each time i get a sticker than any piss farting around with engineers haha

just to spite this stupid fucking process im going to wind the coilovers down another inch when they go back in in 2 weeks also. har har

levans 07-03-2013 11:30 PM

[QUOTE=chevZ;741608]just to spite this stupid fucking process im going to wind the coilovers down another inch when they go back in in 2 weeks also. har har[/QUOTE]

that'll teach em! :rolleyes: