Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   NOOB question about gear oil (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/54078-noob-question-about-gear-oil.html)

mavx4 07-04-2013 10:19 PM

NOOB question about gear oil

First of all, I am mechanically challenged (read: retarded). so forgive me if this question sounds so noob that you want to tell me to go back to a Honda Jazz.

Anyway, had my gear oil and gasket changed last week because it was dripping. as i was checking my gear oil with the dipstick this morning, it shows the oil is just at the low mark when it is cold, are you suppose to check gear oil when it is cold or when it is warm? I am puzzled as I have just had it changed a week ago, shouldn't that show as full or is that normal?

I have tried google but all it shows are american websites talking about AT fluids.

nauli 08-04-2013 07:21 AM

[QUOTE=mavx4;747023]First of all, I am mechanically challenged (read: retarded). so forgive me if this question sounds so noob that you want to tell me to go back to a Honda Jazz.

Anyway, had my gear oil and gasket changed last week because it was dripping. as i was checking my gear oil with the dipstick this morning, it shows the oil is just at the low mark when it is cold, are you suppose to check gear oil when it is cold or when it is warm? I am puzzled as I have just had it changed a week ago, shouldn't that show as full or is that normal?

I have tried google but all it shows are american websites talking about AT fluids.[/QUOTE]

I assume you have a WRX of some description?
When checking the transmission oil the car must be absolutely level.

mavx4 08-04-2013 09:33 AM

[QUOTE=nauli;747047]I assume you have a WRX of some description?
When checking the transmission oil the car must be absolutely level.[/QUOTE]
I got a bugeye STi.

Yeah, I got that part, I did read the owners manual.
My question is: is it normal for the gear oil to show as low on the dip stick when it is cold one week after it has been changed by a mechanic.

Also, separate question: what would cause gear oil to spray all over the place near the area where the gear oil dipstick was?

nauli 08-04-2013 09:58 AM

In that case I would be taking it back to the mechanic...

WRXMatt 08-04-2013 10:47 AM

Yeah the gear oil shouldnt spray everywhere lol. With the level of gearbox oil I thought mine was low but it was just the oil was so new it was hard to see. Check it again and put some bright light on the dip stick, also maybe the dip stick wasnt in right after you checked it.

STIMUL8IN 08-04-2013 11:31 AM

Off topic...WRXMatt is that your new wheel colour in your avatar??????

mavx4 08-04-2013 11:46 AM

[QUOTE=WRXMatt;747077]Yeah the gear oil shouldnt spray everywhere lol. With the level of gearbox oil I thought mine was low but it was just the oil was so new it was hard to see. Check it again and put some bright light on the dip stick, also maybe the dip stick wasnt in right after you checked it.[/QUOTE]
When you say the dip stick wasnt in right after i checked it, did you mean that might have caused it to spray everywhere? but the oil was already everywhere before I checked the dip stick after it has been to the mechanic.

MY00GC8 08-04-2013 11:55 AM

when topping up gear oil sometimes the line they use to fill the box can pressurise causing it to spray everywhere, but should of been cleaned up afterwards...
the oil level should not read low after it has been refilled,

SKYHIONPSI 09-04-2013 10:32 AM

Sounds like a split CV boot if there is "oil" everywhere.

mavx4 09-04-2013 10:58 AM

[QUOTE=SKYHIONPSI;747241]Sounds like a split CV boot if there is "oil" everywhere.[/QUOTE]
pretty sure the color of the "oil" was the same as my gear oil so.....