Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   What timing belt kit suits my GC8? One from 02-03 will work? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/54822-what-timing-belt-kit-suits-my-gc8-one-02-03-will-work.html)

nnemesis 06-06-2013 12:04 AM

What timing belt kit suits my GC8? One from 02-03 will work?

Hello all

I just bought a MY98 WRX and I love it! She was not in the best shape but I'm fixing her up little by little. The cam and crank seals are leaking and the timing belt is about 15000Ks overdue. I am thinking of getting this specific kit online, (as everything in the dealership is so expensive!)

[url=http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Gates-Timing-Belt-Kit-Subaru-WRX-2002-2003]Gates Timing Belt Kit Subaru WRX 2002-2003 TCK328A at RallySportDirect.com[/url]

Problem is that kit is actually for the 02-03. However, I did chat with someone from the live help on that website, and I was told that this kit could be used on a 98 provided new mounting brackets for the tensioner were used. Apparently I can get these with ease from the dealership.

Is the above correct? Will this kit be a direct fit for my car with a new tensioner mount?

I have been shitting myself while driving it because I'm so worried that the oil is going to damage the belt and it's going to snap on me. (Not to mention the oil leaks when I park the car).

Any help will be very appreciated. Please share your knowledge.

Thanks
Prav

EDIT: I have a EJ20G BTW

Marti 06-06-2013 06:48 AM

If your belt tensioner is horizontal y mounted and pushes against the idler to tension the timing,then no it wont fit because 2001 onwards use a tensioner with a smooth idler attached

baylee 06-06-2013 07:32 AM

Personally I'd buy the genuine kit, its not too expensive, comes with everything, idlers, tensiors, belt, water pump & seals, etc..

I can't confirm, could be bullshit, but ive been told the Gates Racing Kit has 1 more or 1 less tooth, cant remember..

nnemesis 06-06-2013 10:38 AM

[QUOTE=baylee;756952]Personally I'd buy the genuine kit, its not too expensive, comes with everything, idlers, tensiors, belt, water pump & seals, etc..

I can't confirm, could be bullshit, but ive been told the Gates Racing Kit has 1 more or 1 less tooth, cant remember..[/QUOTE]

Where would you buy the genuine kit?
I called a dealership and they wanted $750+ for the kit alone, WITHOUT the seals. Can't imagine what their labour will be like.
Is this a reasonable price? If not, where should I really be looking? I've tried a dozen online places, but genuine kits are hard to find.

redlib 06-06-2013 10:48 AM

What i did is bought a gates timming belt kit from repco, instead of using the seals the kit came with, i went and bought genuine seals from subaru.

Lucifer 30-06-2013 10:22 PM

I got belt, tensioner, pulleys, front oil seals, waterpump + gasket, all OEM for ~$500 aussie including freight from a guy called barnfind bernie on ebay. Took approx 2 weeks to get here. Price was before our dollar took a dive tho so :shrug:

mao 01-07-2013 03:18 PM

Call Subaru direct with your Vin number. It isnt that expensive.

From memory the Subaru Timing Belt Kit part number for the 98 GC8 is KTB550, while the GDs use KTB551.

PM me if you need anymore info.

Master D 01-07-2013 04:09 PM

Buy genuine.... Wouldn't have anything less! Especially when there is a engine potentially at steak :-)

Saint_23 01-07-2013 06:10 PM

Go genuine.

/end thread

Lucifer 01-07-2013 10:04 PM

[QUOTE=Lucifer;760362]I got belt, tensioner, pulleys, front oil seals, waterpump + gasket, all OEM for ~$500 aussie including freight from a guy called barnfind bernie on ebay. Took approx 2 weeks to get here. Price was before our dollar took a dive tho so :shrug:[/QUOTE]

Just to clarify: all this stuff is genuine.