Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   AOS - Catch Can install (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/55561-aos-catch-can-install.html)

baylee 12-08-2013 08:27 PM

AOS - Catch Can install

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,
Looking for feedback / thoughts / suggestions..
I've googled, I've trawled so many pages and havent really come accross what I'm looking for.. :confused:

Given these suckers through a fair bit of oil and with Barbs having 2 big right handers, below is my 'planned set up..
Catch can located on the right side of the engine bay to minimise the inertia effect of all the oil ending up on the left side of the engine..

Car is a 95 wrx
Catch can is a Hyperflow 4 port job..
AOS is SGMotorsport or something..

AOS, looks after the Crankcase then over to the catch can for any left overs.. (thinking this will have the most volume potential..
Catch can takes in 2 rocker breathers, T'd together..
Catch can has 2 filtered Breathers..

Excuse the rubbish paint picture and wrong location for AOS, but you should get the idea..

The car is track dedicated, so emission control isn't a concern (sorry to the tree huggers..) Hence no PCV or venting back to intake..

Cheers for any advice..

Ashley

Jeckle 12-08-2013 09:33 PM

I was using an AOS from group buy here, then removed it for the same Hyperflow catch can.

Not sure why the AOS is still there, and if your racing, the catch can is too small, needs to be 2 litres from memory if not going back to the intake, ie a closed loop.

baylee 13-08-2013 06:40 AM

Yeah I didn't think too much of the aos originally..

Was thinking of trying can & aos together to try and return as much as possible back to the block and capture any remaining..

Track racing will come later, for now test n tune days, short sprints, etc, so for now, thibking the hyperflow should be fine.

You reckon fark the aos off all together?

Strubaru 13-08-2013 07:22 AM

does your hyperflow still have the foam medium in it? shouldn't really need the aos

Jeckle 13-08-2013 07:38 AM

I did.

Get only a small amout of oil caught in it after a track day at Barbs, bugger all here at Collie.

I do drain out a fair amout of condesation, not something that the AOS would suffer from, but something worth remembering.

RUSSGT 13-08-2013 08:03 AM

[QUOTE=Jeckle;765783]I did.

Get only a small amout of oil caught in it after a track day at Barbs, bugger all here at Collie.

I do drain out a fair amout of condesation, not something that the AOS would suffer from, but something worth remembering.[/QUOTE]

Whats a small amount? My spec c engine with a hyperflow 4port would collect about 50-100ml after 4 x 3min track sprints.

Jeckle 13-08-2013 08:54 AM

Not sure exactly, drove home and looked at it a few days later.

Tipped out a milky mix of water and oil, (condensation as it cooled down), would have been about that amount, (50ml or so)

Again 4 runs of 3 laps, (Speed event series)

baylee 13-08-2013 12:54 PM

[QUOTE=Strubaru;765776]does your hyperflow still have the foam medium in it? shouldn't really need the aos[/QUOTE]

My thinking to keep aos is to try & drain. Back as much oil as possible so the catch only gets what bypasses the neck..

But yes still has the foam.

RUSSGT 13-08-2013 01:51 PM

I found my AOS did absolutely nothing. Not worth keeping IMO. Burke set his up to test. He ran the hoses to the aos, then from the exit of the aos to the input of a catchcan and there was heaps of oil in there.

XT43 13-08-2013 02:10 PM

Yup.

Shit.