Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Cruise control has stopped working (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/56272-cruise-control-has-stopped-working.html)

fsk 18-10-2013 02:21 PM

Cruise control has stopped working

Hey everyone, first of all long time no speak.. Good to see the place still kicking along nice and strong :)

So my cruise control has stopped working. Anyway here goes, ill try to include everything..

2001 liberty AWD (heritage not that its important)

I had been having CEL's showing up for the first 30 seconds or so after starting the engine about 80% of the time for about 2 years now but out of nowhere the CEL's pretty much vanished and are probably once every 15 or 20 starts for a few seconds at best.

At the same time the CEL's went missing so did the flash of all the indicators when I hit my central locking button on the key, otherwise completely functional. This is with the factory central locking system with one of the cars original keys if that matters. Im assuming this is related which is why Ive included it..

And last but not least the cruise control isn't working, the cruise light still goes on and off when i toggle the cruise control button on the dash and the click noise still happens behind the glove box/under the dash whenever i press the button(from the main fuse relay i would assume).

Ive checked the ABS/Cruise and central locking fuses and they are all OK

My next point of call would be the O2 sensor but my past experience suggests I would have a CEL if the sensor isn't functional.

So yeah im no expert and I would like to be more confident before I change out the O2 sensor.

Your thoughts would be appreciated :)

nauli 18-10-2013 03:39 PM

Indications are that the cruise control being inoperative is due to a CEL, so best get someone to plug into your ECU to diagnose otherwise you'll just be guessing and chasing your tail...

fsk 18-10-2013 07:54 PM

Well I don't know anybody with a fault reader and an O2 sensor is $30 so if some of the more experienced members think its worth a shot then its a risk im happy to take :)

johnvk7 18-10-2013 08:47 PM

Cruise control not working probably not related to CEL on such an early model. C/C is a separate system on those. Could be brake light switch, clutch switch or neutral switch if manual trans, or even the C/C actuator. Need a scan tool to check the codes in the system

Tony 18-10-2013 08:55 PM

A scan tool is 30buks.

johnvk7 18-10-2013 08:59 PM

[QUOTE=Tony;775115]A scan tool is 30buks.[/QUOTE]

An OBD code reader won't work. The C/C system has nothing to do with OBD. He will need a proper scan tool

fsk 18-10-2013 09:30 PM

[QUOTE=johnvk7;775114]Cruise control not working probably not related to CEL on such an early model. C/C is a separate system on those. Could be brake light switch, clutch switch or neutral switch if manual trans, or even the C/C actuator. Need a scan tool to check the codes in the system[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense. Car is an Auto btw

I know you said the C/C system is independent of the ECU but could it be possible that the CEL's where due to a sticky actuator taking some time to activate and they have now all but disappeared because the actuator has seized taking the C/C out with it?

Before I get it scanned is it easy to access the actuator in question? If i can reach it I can probably get it to move and find out if it is my issue..

edit: ive just driven the car and paid close attention, it seems to hold RPM for maybe a second before giving up and dropping speed. Looks like you have hit the nail on the head John!

fsk 19-10-2013 05:44 PM

Fixed surprisingly it was the fuse for the horn which i discovered by chance wasn't working today.