Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Subaru Tech Division

thehowlfactor knows their stuff

The fog machine or the car?
Old 15-12-2013, 03:08 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

django at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehowlfactor View Post
The fog machine or the car?

LOL, I mean the WRX= I don't know what to do now? Maybe the Walbro Pump is playing up and not flowing enough ?, though the last owner only had it installed 23/3/2012

What other things should I be looking at for the cause of it running EXTREMELY lean?

Last edited by django; 15-12-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 22-12-2013, 04:09 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

django at standard level

More poking about the car yet again today, drivers side Kick Panel= whats this Connector for??, mine's not plugged in!?..

Old 22-12-2013, 04:38 PM
STI Master

MY00GC8 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by django View Post
More poking about the car yet again today, drivers side Kick Panel= whats this Connector for??, mine's not plugged in!?..

It's used to program Central locking, it needs to stay unplugges

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
Old 22-12-2013, 04:44 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

django at standard level

Thanks mate,I was hoping that this being unplugged was the source of my cars running problems ( sigh!!)
Old 15-10-2015, 02:09 PM
STI Master

dnbosiris at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intra View Post
It is possible to have the ECUtek tune removed, from what i remember its your choice.
Not always the case, unfortunately...

**DISCLAIMER**
This post is not intended in way to be a discussion on tuners, tuning ability, tuning software, or anything related to that.
I intend this is to be a purely informative post to help others in my situation who may have purchased a car with an Ecutek tune and wish to get the Ecutek "lock" removed in order to have it tuned elsewhere.

I recently purchased a 2003 MY02 STi (build date Jan 03) from a local dealership. I knew that car had some sort of tune but was unaware what it was and the dealership didn't know either.
I have a tactrix cable and so one of the first things I did when I got the car home was to attempt to download the map and see what it was running. I quickly worked out it had a locked Ecutek tune on it.

No problems, I thought. I will just take the car to a local Ecutek dealer and get the Ecutek lock removed..
After paying a small fee and getting my car back after the "unlocking" process I then attempted to download the rom again. Guess what? same error message. The Ecutek dealer also remarked that he had seen this happen before but he thought it was in fact my cable or software that was at fault.

After much confusion involving going back to the Ecutek dealer, calling Brett @ MRT, browsing forum posts for hours, and even e-mailing Ecutek in the UK, I came to a conclusion:

Certain older ECU's (i.e. Pre Hawkeye) **CANNOT* be completely cleaned of Ecutek using conventional methods by an Ecutek dealer where they flash back the factory map. Instead, the Ecu will be forever "LOCKED" to Ecutek meaning it will have to be re-tuned by an Ecutek dealer ONLY. In my research I also discovered that there are certain places that may be able to do some sort of "hard reset" (Chiptorque in QLD is one) but I have no way of confirming that this works and the charges seem to start at around $220 per ecu.

What message am I trying to get across?

If you have a Pre-Hawkeye/06 ECU with an Ecutek tune, then just be aware there is NO guarantee that you will be able to pay to remove Ecutek from it. Your best bet is probably to try and source a second hand ECU from the same car and take it to Subaru to get your key immobiliser recoded to the new ecu (I was quoted $154 for this job from Subie Ossy Park). I've now had this done and I can now read and write to my new ECU with Tactrix/Ecuflash.

I think in the past people in my situation may have just given up and taken their car to an Ecutek dealer for tuning. This is of course always an option, as you will have the license already on your Ecu and so won't have to fork out for a new license. But the purpose of this post is to inform people that their is ANOTHER option if you do not wish to have your car retuned with Ecutek.

As I said, this is not an Ecutek diss, and i'm not trying to tell people who they should get their car tuned by, I just want to try and help others who may have been or will be in the same situation as me and would like to know what all of their options are, because frankly it was rather frustrating.

Email from Ecutek UK:

Quote:
Hi Simon,

Unfortunately your ECU is locked to EcuTek software......

When we first developed the software they were no other 3rd party products or "free" tuning options available, ECU's were never intentionally locked but ended up that way as a result of our security (to prevent tuners copying other tuners maps) later our work was copied by various open source products, due to our security they could not access the ECU if it had been previously flashed by EcuTek.

These ECU's are relatively inexpensive nowadays and can be found on auction sites or from Japanese car breakers, it should be possible to find a NON EcuTek tuned ECU without too much trouble.

Apologies if this is not the answer you wanted but unfortunately it is the cold truth.

Chris Todd
EcuTek International

tl;dr It's not always possible to remove Ecutek from some older ECU's, cheapest option might be to source a second hand ECU and pay Subaru $150 odd to recode your keys instead.
Dazza68, TROLLEY and nick73 like this.

Last edited by dnbosiris; 15-10-2015 at 04:47 PM.
Old 15-10-2015, 06:41 PM
STI Master

Kremer930 at standard level

Interesting post.

I wonder what is involved in having the key coded to the ECU? Is this the only thing required to change ECU that you know of?

Glad you got it sorted.
Old 17-10-2015, 12:30 PM
STI Master

dnbosiris at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremer930 View Post
Interesting post.

I wonder what is involved in having the key coded to the ECU? Is this the only thing required to change ECU that you know of?

Glad you got it sorted.
thanks mate.
i think it's a process that tells the ecu to "learn" the immobiliser signal of the new key. doesn't take very long to do if you have the right tools.
it's the only chance required to change ECU that i know of - for my specific model year anyway.

Tags
cost, ecutek, remove