Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-12-2013, 09:54 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

zver333 at standard level
Default Replacement Keys

Same old story.

I lost my only key that can start the car.

Subaru approx $500 to have a new key made and of course they need the car to do it so add towing.

I did my research and found out what type of key my car needs (type of key and type of transponder). If you want keyless entry, the keys are more expensive and then there is a special procedure to set the car up into programming mode to 'learn' the news fobs in.

I believe subaru use the Texas Crypto transponder chips for their keys. There are aftermarket variations like Silca for eg. I've attached a table with some variations.

My car required a 4D-60 Chip (2002 WRX).

I then went to Subaru with some ID & vehicle info to prove I was the owner of the car and they gave me a key code which I used to cut the new key.

From what I have checked below are some lockies that can cut using key code:

-Westlock Security in Kewdale (Open Saturdays!)
-Lock Stock & Ferrel (also open Saturdays) $27.50 to cut using code and $11.00 for an extra copy if you supply a blank key (in my case NSN19T13, NSN14T13 should also work)
-A1 Locksmiths can also do it.

If you cannot get the key made because the keys on your car have been changed then you need someone who can make one from scratch using the cylinder.

I recommend Mark Apollo (Apollo Car Locksmiths - mobile locksmith)

He has over 30 years experience and can come out to you to program the new key which is what happened in my case.
I supplied the cut key for him and he came out connected his programmer to the car and hey presto the car came alive. He charged me a call out fee and a programing fee which is less that what it would have cost me to tow my car to and from the dealer.

Side note: All the locksmiths can supply the correct key for your car and they will have the correct equipment to program them up. The 'generic' blanks I got could not be copied so so obviously the equipment can only be used with the keys they provide (it would read the key but would not write data to it).

Once you have your key you need to program it up.

A1, Lock Stock & Ferrel and Apollo can come out and get it done.

I went with Apollo as a friend referred me to him and his programming and call out fee were the best. He connected the programmer and the 'car/barrel" programmed up the new key.

As I have done a lot of research into this I recognised the programmer Mark used and I ordered one and tested it today. "How hard could it be? I'm smart, I can do it!)

Tonight I mucked around with it managed to wipe all the keys (got the ID10T error). Thank goodness I managed to fix it. It's very easy to fk things up so I'm not going to tell you how its done. It's best you leave it to a pro, so give Mark Apollo a call on 0419 977 833.

In closing:
1. Don't loose your !@#$% keys
2. If you don't already have one, get a spare key.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Transponder X-Ref.pdf (266.8 KB, 15 views)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zver333 For This Useful Post:
django (10-03-2014), dnbosiris (23-12-2013), DukeDrifter (23-12-2013), joeman (24-12-2013), Soksta (23-12-2013), Tiigga (23-12-2013)

Tags
keys, replacement