Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   which cold air intake do you have? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/57302-cold-air-intake-do-you-have.html)

Arcade_West 24-01-2014 05:58 PM

which cold air intake do you have?

I was wondering which cold air intake you are using (or if you're using the stock box) and how good it is

I'm looking at changing my whole CAI from the hks system that came with the car (it's getting a bit dated) on my my04 STi

I've heard good thing about k&n and cobb. does it matter if the MAF sensor is closer or further from the actual intake? where is the cheapest place to buy CAI's?

American Dave 24-01-2014 06:09 PM

If you have a stock VF turbo then the stock box and an aftermarket filter will be all you need, unless you just like noise.
Was your car tuned with the CAI on it ?

Arcade_West 24-01-2014 06:17 PM

[QUOTE=American Dave;785573]If you have a stock VF turbo then the stock box and an aftermarket filter will be all you need, unless you just like noise.
Was your car tuned with the CAI on it ?[/QUOTE]

It was tuned with the current CAI. I do like the noise it makes, so i'm gonna go for another CAI, just not sure what yet

dnbosiris 24-01-2014 06:18 PM

[QUOTE=American Dave;785573]If you have a stock VF turbo then the stock box and an aftermarket filter will be all you need, unless you just like noise.
Was your car tuned with the CAI on it ?[/QUOTE]

Does an after market filter really make much difference on the stock airbox? I was going to go get a k&n but was told not to bother. :confused:

DZENCI 24-01-2014 06:21 PM

Dave is going by his experience so it does.

Rossco 24-01-2014 06:25 PM

Why bother changing the CAI? How does a piece of alloy pipe age? Exactly 0% gain to be had by swapping to brand 'XXX'

K&N + Snorkelectomy + stock airbox will sound nice and you might get an extra KW or 2 at the expense of long term MAF reliability.

RJ999 24-01-2014 06:26 PM

Tuners say stock Sti airbox is very good...no need for cai unless you've done front mount and big turbo like looking for big hp big mods. They done lots tests and it only makes like 2-3hp difference on some setups(on some no difference) unless what I said above.

Unless thats just for the 06/07 airbox

Rossco 24-01-2014 09:20 PM

[QUOTE=RJ999;785578]Tuners say stock Sti airbox is very good...no need for cai unless you've done front mount and big turbo like looking for big hp big mods. They done lots tests and it only makes like 2-3hp difference on some setups(on some no difference) unless what I said above.

Unless thats just for the 06/07 airbox[/QUOTE]

Which tuners say this?

Both WRX & STI airboxes are the same, both use the same snorkus (resonance chamber) and both use the same filter.

What is this big horsepower you speak of? 300? 600? 6000?

Peak power gain is negligible it's more about a straighter intake path for faster on/off boost response.

Most noticeable if you do the silicone intake pipe and CAI at the same time (removing Snorkus, stock airbox and plastic under manifold intake pipe).

munya 24-01-2014 09:27 PM

My car made zero extra power with the cold air intake over the stock air box. Still have the CAI in a box somewhere

RJ999 24-01-2014 09:31 PM

All of the reputable ones ASG, ST, minus Mms as I didnt ask them... big horsepower is well over 350+ Sean tune or big non bolt on turbos...

CAI makes no difference on 06/07s like munya said...