Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-02-2014, 09:33 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Rexit at standard level
Default Air con noise/ power drop - warrantee issue

Hi guys,

My 2011 wrx air con makes an easily audible tick noise, followed immediately by a momentary drop in power, followed by a quite whoosh of air flow through the vents.

This cycle occurs every 15 second whilst underway (It doesn't do it while in park).

It occurs regardless of air con setting, inside or outside temp.

So obviously it is really peesing me off, specially with cruise control up and down the freeway.

I have searched and found that it is a known problem amongst o/s wrx owners but couldn't find any info on this forum.

Cause - I believe (from o/s forums) it is caused by the compressor cycling on every 15 seconds.

Another reason given was the air con belt slipping... but I don't think this would give such a regular repetition???

It cycles on, blows cold air, then cycles off....and repeat 15 seconds later.

Warrantee issue - I have taken it to Peel Subaru and taken the head mech for a drive.

He acknowledged the tic/ reduction in power/ whoosh.....but then tried to tell me that there was nothing wrong.

He said it was just the noise they make.

I told him that it was detracting from my driving pleasure and was not something I should have to tolerate...

He apparently sent a info request to Subi HQ for clarification and they have said it is not a known problem and therefore not able to be fixed under warrantee.

Advise please - has anyone else had this problem? What was the outcome? What should my next step be?

Any advice on this vexation would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited by Rexit; 19-02-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 19-02-2014, 10:06 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

There is nothing wrong - Everything you describe is a normal part of A/c operation on any 4 cylinder car.

The 'Tick' is the compressor clutch cutting in - the drop in power is the load from the now engaged compressor - The 'woosh' is the refrigerant gas flowing through the evaporator core inside the dashboard, nothing unusual there.

Your A/c can draw up to 3Kw when the compressor starts (especially on very hot days) - this is the surge you feel.

I Lol'd at : "I told him that it was detracting from my driving pleasure and was not something I should have to tolerate..." Did you think you were buying a BMW?

Just wait until winter and the first time you get to experience the Subaru "waterfall feature" haha.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 19-02-2014, 10:14 AM

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

I struggle to pleasure myself whilst the aircon is on and I am driving also

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 19-02-2014, 02:28 PM

Rexit at standard level

Haha the mech at peel Subi gave me the wtf look too when I mentioned the driving pleasure bit....he literally raised an eyebrow...but I didn't flinch and just stared that shjt down...

Really though that is exactly what it does, especially when I start mentally timing the clicks.

Thing is my bros xt does not do it and that has the exact same compressor (it's auto though so maybe the Auto is soaking it up?)

Thanks for the advise Rossco.

I'm going to ask to drive another Rex though, just to make sure.

Any other opinions/ advice on this would be great especially anyone with a 08+ Rex.

Cheers.
Old 19-02-2014, 02:41 PM
STI Master

amtrapid knows their stuff

Mate its as said completely normal. I have 3 Subarus a 92 RS , a99 gen 3 RX and a 2001Gen 3 B4 . They all do it 2 are manual one is auto I time my driving pleasure for 12 seconds allows me to clean up before the tick and in the RX the tick is Followed by the relaxing waterfalls that put me to sleep afterwards Mrs is getting pissed of at me spending so much time in the car by myself at night time tho
Old 19-02-2014, 02:42 PM
STI Master

JRecardo at standard level

I have never noticed it in my 08 rex to be honest, nor did I in my 02. I notice its on and off every now and then but it definitely doesn't do enough to annoy me or grab my attention.

I'm probably just not as pedantic.
09betty likes this.
Old 19-02-2014, 03:39 PM

Nikt3ndo at standard level

My 06 wrx did same thing when I bought it from Audi. They sent it to osb park Subaru as they had no idea about wrx's abd the head mechanic said it was noisy and they made some adjustments. It hasn't done the click, power down and Woosh effect since. I can slightly here the compressor engage but that's all. But I can't remember exactly what it was they did. Buy maybe go there if it's close and ask....
Old 20-02-2014, 08:26 AM

nauli knows their stuff

Whilst others say it's normal, if it happens every 15 sec, I can't see that it is normal...it may be that the compressor is cycling incorrectly...if the car is under warranty, take it to a dealership (eg Melville Subaru) and get it checked...that's what a warranty is for...it will only cost you a bit of time.
Old 20-02-2014, 09:24 AM

Rexit at standard level

Thanks a heap for input and different opinions guys...

But I agree with nauli, I just can't see how something so obvious and irritating is seen as normal... and not engineered to a better standard.

I'm definately not going to let it slide...

I found out I have a statutory warrantee at the point of sale dealer....so am going to check my rights now..

I'll keep you posted of how it all turns out.
Old 20-02-2014, 09:32 AM

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexit View Post
Thanks a heap for input and different opinions guys...

But I agree with nauli, I just can't see how something so obvious and irritating is seen as normal... and not engineered to a better standard.

I'm definately not going to let it slide...

I found out I have a statutory warrantee at the point of sale dealer....so am going to check my rights now..

I'll keep you posted of how it all turns out.
Manufacturer warranty still is valid regardless of you buying it used.

Tags
air, con, drop, issue, noise, noise or, power, warrantee