Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Gc8 headlamps are the worst design ever! short weak beam - compounded by the Shithouse GC8 electrical system that always suffers voltage drop in the headlamp harnesses.

Self levelling doesn't fix what you described - Self levelling is only to maintain the headlamp beam height as you load the car up and the rear sags (like when towing a trailer).

Adaptive headlamps are different, they switch from low to high automatically & use a light sensor to detect on coming traffic to dip the lights. Adaptive isn't an ADR requirement (Yet).
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 25-03-2014, 09:26 PM
Sign me up!
bug love

munya at standard level
Send a message via MSN to munya Send a message via Skype™ to munya

Might give this a go with my stock bugeye headlights since they sitting in the shed at home.now off to eBay for some shopping.
Jeckle likes this.
Old 25-03-2014, 09:52 PM

RichX knows their stuff

Thought you have sti projectors?
Old 25-03-2014, 10:47 PM
STI Master

Slap Dash knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
There is no ADR requirement for auto levelling (adaptive headlamps) nor headlamp washers - it's a misconception due to European ECE standards requiring headlamp washers.

ADR 77 - Gas discharge lamps Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 77/00 - Gas Discharge Headlamps) 2006
Have discussed this topic many times. Quite a bit of miss information & confusion over HID's due to the nature of ADR requirements & rules, however no miss conception here Rossco

I'm a slight dick regarding this topic as I have previously ranted over incorrect fitment & blinding of drivers, including myself on several occasions regarding HID's. I'm already Sensitive to light at night (Keratoconus in my left eye) & it doesn't help if they haven't been installed properly.

I'm far from having a go at anyone including yourself but just want to make it clear that there is ADR's in place. I have no problem with people installing HID's but I do ask if to please angle them down/have them fitted correctly should you not abide by the ADR requirements.

ADR 13 requires that all vehicles fitted with headlamps (including HID) producing over 2,000 lumens (a measure of light output) have a self-leveling system and headlight washers.

Code:
Headlamp requirements: UNECE Regulation No. 48 (ADR 13/00):

6.2. DIPPED-BEAM HEADLAMP

6.2.6.2. Headlamp levelling device

6.2.6.2.1. In the case where a headlamp levelling device is necessary to satisfy the
requirements of paragraphs 6.2.6.1.1. and 6.2.6.1.2., the device shall be automatic.

6.2.6.2.2. However, devices which are adjusted manually, either continuously or
non-continuously, shall be permitted, provided they have a stop position at which the
lamps can be returned to the initial inclination defined in paragraph 6.2.6.1.1. by
means of the usual adjusting screws or similar means.

6.2.9. Other requirements

Dipped-beam headlamps with a light source or LED module(s) producing the principal
dipped beam and having a total objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumen
shall only be installed in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s)
according to Regulation No. 45.

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2005L03991

This basically means that both headlamp cleaning devices and automatic headlamp levelling devices must be installed, since a typical gas-discharge bulb exceeds 2,000 lumen (typically 2,800 or 3,200 lumen).

The specifics of gas-discharge headlamps are laid out in UNECE Regulation No. 98 (ADR 77/00).

Code:
Now for gas-discharge bulb requirements: UNECE Regulation No. 99 (ADR 78/00):

3. TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS

3.9. Colour

3.9.1. The colour of the light emitted shall be white or selective yellow. Moreover, the
colorimetric characteristics, expressed in CIE chromaticity coordinates, shall lie within
the boundaries given on the relevant data sheet.

3.9.2. The definitions of the colour of the light emitted, given in Regulation No. 48 and
its series of amendments in force at the time of application for type approval shall apply
to this Regulation.

3.9.3. The colour shall be measured according to the conditions specified in annex 4,
paragraph 10.

Referring back to UNECE Regulation No. 48 (ADR 13/00), the definition of "white" is given in paragraph 2.29.1 and the extent of further restrictions placed on gas-discharge bulbs is given in UNECE Regulation No. 99 (ADR 78/00), Annex 4, paragraph 10.
It all basically means the colour temperature should be 4100 K, with a tolerance of between 3500 K and 5000 K.

Now that's out of the way. Rossco the lights look mint! Great job compared to what I saw the other night at Barbs! Least you should be able to see now

Having a modern day PC without an SSD is like hiring a hooker for hugs.......

Last edited by Slap Dash; 25-03-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 25-03-2014, 11:13 PM
STI Master

Bob at standard level

Love the lights. These are a great improvement over the halogens. Well done.

Just to add to the thesis above. Being in accordance with an ADR does not make them ADR approved. Any traffic cop has the right at their discretion to defect these. And an inspection station will be looking for ADR approvals once flagged.
Slap Dash likes this.
Old 26-03-2014, 12:59 AM

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

"6.2.6.2.2. However, devices which are adjusted manually, either continuously or non-continuously, shall be permitted, provided they have a stop position at which the lamps can be returned to the initial inclination defined in paragraph 6.2.6.1.1. by means of the usual adjusting screws or similar means."

Excellent - So you don't need electronic leveling and the factory headlamps have manual adjusters. No washer jets (yet). Bulbs are 5000K.

I think you'll all agree that this conversion is far from slapping a pair of H4 hi/lo HID's into factory reflector housings and blinding people in neighboring countries!

Low Beam:

High beam:

Parkers with CCFL halos:

Low beam showing beam cutoff (normal blue chromatic aberration):
(The lens flare is because my DSLR lens is dirty from storm chasing!)

Slappy - what are your thoughts on the light patterns this conversion produces?

To me the pattern appears crisp with a sharp cut off - the beams are correctly staggered for RH drive. I could probably aim the left-hand headlamp further left if I wanted to but I'll wait until I drive downsouth to see how much light I have on the left-hand road shoulder.

I know someone will want to know what the 'Devil Eyes' look like so here they are temporarily wired up (I won't be using them at all - EVER - unless I suddenly turn gay - whereby my 'devil eyes' will be your only warning!):

RUSSGT, SPEC IV, Jezza and 3 others like this.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Last edited by Rossco; 26-03-2014 at 01:16 AM.
Old 26-03-2014, 01:36 AM
STI Master

Slap Dash knows their stuff

Comparison shot is great, they look really good & appear to sit well! Devil eyes are um interesting lol. Would need to check out the pattern in person but they look & appear fine IMO.

They are definitely a step up from the stock ones you had in at barbs the other night *Big thumbs up*. I don't know how you drove at night & saw anything previously.

Also Just to clarify, I never doubted you in the install of these & in just half assing it. I was just pointing out & clarifying that there are indeed ADR's in place for HID's regarding levelling & washers. It can be a very convoluted subject to follow regarding rules and requirements considering such a broad range of documents about the subject.
Rossco likes this.

Having a modern day PC without an SSD is like hiring a hooker for hugs.......

Last edited by Slap Dash; 26-03-2014 at 01:37 AM.
Old 26-03-2014, 07:51 AM
Subaru Tech Division

red dragon2002 at standard level

Thats fucking awesome

Wonder how this would go with the gc8 morettes?
Old 11-04-2014, 09:30 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Hendow at standard level

Thanks for a great thread Rossco,

I followed your lead and purchased these HID's for my GC8, and found the install was very straight forward, using your great DIY thread as a guide.

Big improvement over the OEM candles.

Only issue/concern I had was with the loom of angel eye/devil eye wiring out of the projector case, running through the OEM reflector, and the potential to chafe over time... Oh and don't use methylated spirits to clean your reflectors. Acts like sandpaper strangely. Don't ask me how I know this...

Thanks again for taking the time to document your project which is great value to us noobies!

Devil eyes, or no devil eyes... Choices, choices!! And no I'm NOT gay!!
Tiigga likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hendow For This Useful Post:
Rossco (11-04-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 12:44 PM
STI Master

Patch at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendow View Post
Oh and don't use methylated spirits to clean your reflectors. Acts like sandpaper strangely. Don't ask me how I know this...
The chroming on the internal parts is stupidly thin, felt like it was wiping off when I used 800 grit sandpaper to black out my housings. No effort needed at all.

Tags
gc8, headlamps, hi or lo, hid, oem, projector, retrofit