Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   biggest stock position turbo?? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/57922-biggest-stock-position-turbo.html)

riceman1991 31-03-2014 05:10 PM

biggest stock position turbo??

I currently have a blouch td05-20g, once my new motor is put in, it will probably be the restricting factor in making more power, so what is the biggest stock position turbo?? Wanting to keep the engine bay looking as stock as possible..

Dan [GTI] 31-03-2014 05:24 PM

I had a AVO450 which was a TD06 20G (I think)

RoughStilin 31-03-2014 05:59 PM

ATP do at stock position 35R. I can't remember the exact sizing, but I'm sure the housing and wheel sizes aren't much different from a T3 flanged 35. Going from what I have, I'm pretty confident that anything over TD06 sizing, begins to foul on the heads.

Saying that a 3071 or a 3076 would be a nice size, keeping it ball bearing. Are you maintaining the stock engine bay look of the TMIC? If so you would be pushing the efficiency on the TMIC & realistically there would be no point in installing anything larger than a 20G & even that would be a push I believe. I guess it depends what you want from the car though.

berrjona 04-04-2014 06:39 PM

I got a near new Garett 3076r for sale

riceman1991 04-04-2014 08:41 PM

I got a front mount here, and will be using it as recommended by the tuners.

Not sure I will see much of a difference in swapping to a td06?? in terms of power, Thoughts?

Also I may be able to pick up a top mounted garrett gt35r, with external wastegate / screamer and custom fmic piping, dump pipe. ready to bolt straight on, quite cheaply.. Thoughts on this setup? As it sounds quite good, I just wanted didnt really want a top mounted setup, as it will be a hassle if i get a yellow..

RoughStilin 05-04-2014 09:37 AM

Wut? You don't want a top mount set up due to it being a hassle if you get a yellow? I think you mean rotated / twist mount?

TD06 will make slightly more power & keep the power going longer, but the TD05 will have a more streetier, useable power band.

If you are running a FM, ask yourself:-

How much power do I want
When do I expect the turbo to come onto boost

These two questions will answer what turbo you want pretty much.

illrhymes 05-04-2014 11:48 PM

He must mean twist mount.
On the topic of yellows, a screamer pipe gate setup has to be cop bait right?

V3 RA 06-04-2014 12:02 AM

[QUOTE=illrhymes;794550]He must mean twist mount.
On the topic of yellows, a screamer pipe gate setup has to be cop bait right?[/QUOTE]

Yes...

Having said that I've had an external gate on my RA since I bought it and haven't recieved much attention at all, let alone specific attention for having an external gate.

When I hear my screamer pipe 99% of the time I'm doing well over the speed limit anyway so it doesn't really matter that much. You'll just be making more noise when they ping you.

Do you need an external gate or do you just want the noise?

riceman1991 14-04-2014 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
sorry guy it is a twisted setup. i didnt really want this, because it will be easier to get a yellow sticker. I origianlly wanted it as stock looking as possible. But i can pick up this setup quite cheap, so im not sure what to do now.

It has everything already, so it would be quite easy for me to just bolt on this setup.

Im not even fussed about the external wastegate (alougth you cant even see it) , just this setup has it already so it seems like it might be a good for me financially.

illrhymes 14-04-2014 01:26 PM

Serious question here: Why do you want a big turbo?
I know that 2 contributors to this thread run big turbos but their cars also have the internals to cope with huge cylinder pressure and big boost...