Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 03:43 PM
Scoobie Noobie

bailz at standard level
Default 08 sti timing belt shredded :(

I have an 08 sti hatch. I pulled up to the lights and the cars idle was very rough then stalled

So the car was rebuilt less than 5000kms ago.... Looks like one of the idlers pulleys is seized and been slowly shredding it... My question is I had the car rebuilt under stat 3 month warranty. It spent nearly 2 months being rebuilt... Is there a warranty on a fully rebuilt engine? The timing belt was also replaced when the engine was rebuilt..

So I have legs to stand on to ring the dealer I purchased the car off and get it repaired?
Old 11-05-2014, 03:46 PM
STI Master

JRecardo at standard level

If a warranty was provided on the work and their negligence, or a failure from a part they provided and fitted led to the incident then yes, they should be liable for that.

The best answer you will get is from whoever did your work, give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

Good luck.
showgun and amtrapid like this.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:49 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

why was the tensioner not replaced during the rebuild...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-05-2014, 05:26 PM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Did valves meet pistons?
Old 11-05-2014, 06:08 PM
Scoobie Noobie

bailz at standard level

I don't know anything more than the belt is shredded I am hoping nothing too serious also a big props to the guy in the blue 2014/15 sti with blue personal plates for asking if we needed a hand! Did see a few other guys in sti's slow down for a look
Old 11-05-2014, 06:52 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

joshrx at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
why was the tensioner not replaced during the rebuild...
Probably to save time and money.. and not a lot of either at that.

Hope it works out well for OP and doesn't get screwed.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
Old 12-05-2014, 04:28 AM
Sign me up!
82 of 200

_daz_ at standard level

Good luck...wouldn't hurt to contact consumer affairs or the fair trading ombudsman (or whoever vehicle purchase & warranty conditions falls under) to get an idea of where you stand before you go in there, knowing for certain what your rights and their responsibilities are in this situation means you won't get walked all over.

That wasn't a U-turn! It was two consecutive right hand turns.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:41 AM

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Who did the rebuild?

http://kap.industries/
Old 12-05-2014, 08:14 AM

nauli knows their stuff

Don't get ahead of yourself...obviously talk to the re-builder/dealer first. Basically 3 months warranty or not you should be 100% covered.
Check Australian consumer laws if neccessary...
Old 14-05-2014, 07:59 PM
Scoobie Noobie

bailz at standard level

Purchased the car on November 26. I noted something was wrong when my missus started the vehicle up and it blew smoke for a few seconds. At this time the vehicle was less than a week since purchase.

The car was taken to the workshop and torn down under warranty. 3 pistons were found to have smashed ring lands. The workshop informed me that they had ordered new MAHLE forged pistons to go into the block, ARP head studs and Felpro head gaskets and full genuine Subaru gasket kit.

I was informed by the workshop its in my best interest to put a new clutch in whilst the engine is out. So i purchased a Competition stage 2 clutch and went to pickup the flywheel to be machined as well.

I wasn't happy after seeing the pistons and wondering where all the shrapnel had gone... I spoke to the dealer that I wasn't happy with the bottom end not being rebuilt. They would not come to the party and split the block so I asked the workshop directly and they agreed to split the bottom end at my cost. So I supplied new ACL bearings, had the crankshaft re-oil phased and new MANLEY rods...

Long story short they went to fit the pistons but had ordered over sized pistons and had to get the block machined anyway. I never paid for the bottom end rebuild because they had to split the block for machining anway

Car was put back together and then taken to a reputable subaru workshop for a tune under the original re builders recommendation. I had discovered that the vehicle was fitted with ECU-TEK before I had purchased the vehicle. This was not told to me at the purchase date.

So the vehicle was now at the reputable workshop on the 11th of February. The car was started at taken up to temperature. The top radiator hose was swollen like a balloon so both top and bottom hoses were replaced. The vehicle was then fitted with the 3inch turbo back exhaust at my cost to save me from re dyno tune later down the track.

On the dyno it was discovered that the right hand Active Valve Control system was not working so the cam covers were removed and the AVCS on the right bank was bled and the silicon blocking the hole removed.

The car went onto the dyno and everything was fine and returned to me on the 18th of February.

The car at purchase had done around 45300kms
It was rebuilt at around 46000kms
The timing belt was shredded at around 50000kms

Obviously I called the reputable subaru workshop first for advice. They told me to call the workshop who rebuilt the car. I rang them and they told me to call whoever touched it last.... So before it got messy I rang consumer protection.... They told me to call the dealer I purchased the car from because they were the ones who paid for the repairs.

I have been in contact with consumer protection in regards to this matter and no formal complaint has been made as the dealer has ordered the car to be towed to the reputable Subaru workshop... It will be around a week before they can touch it as they are fairly busy.

At the end of the day I just feel like I haven't got any value for money

The car was returned to me on the 18th of February....

Last edited by bailz; 14-05-2014 at 08:01 PM.

Tags
08, back in you hole rossco, belt, only if you present first rossco, shredded, sti, suck ma cock tony, timing