Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Short Shifter (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/58845-short-shifter.html)

Smeg 25-07-2014 04:42 PM

Short Shifter

Hey Guys

I am looking to find a short shifter for a 2013 MY14 WRX.
I have seen one on ULTREX but I have heard that if you get a dodgy one then you could actually end up doing more damage then good.

Has anyone here put their own in? Where would you recommend getting one>

Cheers

mARC 25-07-2014 04:51 PM

I wouldn't say Rob's dodgy, in fact a lot of business could learn from the way he conducts himself.

Maybe ask if anyone has used the Ultrex branded shifter before making assumptions?

Smeg 25-07-2014 05:01 PM

Didn't intend to say that ULTREX was dodgy

Soksta 25-07-2014 05:03 PM

Had the Ultrex short shifter in my old MY08 wrx, had no issues with installation or the unit itself.

Do you need/want the short shifter or are you trying to firm everything up a bit?
I would also look at the shifting bushings at the same time, makes a world of difference over stock.

Smeg 25-07-2014 05:12 PM

Yeah, just looking for some advice, I find the stock very long and I figured the short shift would be a great first mod .... so more of a want than a need :D

Saw one on ULTREX, but I like to look around before just buying the first one I see.

How do the new bushings feel compared to stock? More of a tighter feel?

Soksta 25-07-2014 05:26 PM

[QUOTE=Smeg;804638] How do the new bushings feel compared to stock? More of a tighter feel?[/QUOTE]

I don't have the short shifter in my current car, but the whiteline gearbox bushings, group n transmission mount and front/rear shifter bushings have made more of an impact in regards to transmission slop.

You get a slight increase in noise from the gearbox, but you get used to it fairly quickly.

GTB Liberty 25-07-2014 06:57 PM

Also be aware that a short shifter and a shortened gear stick are actually two very different items.

The former leaves the gear knob at the same height and shortens the shift distance - the other lowers the gear knob and shortens the shift distance.

Further, the former usually includes different tighter bushings.

s20525xxx 25-07-2014 07:33 PM

Subaru short shift kit is a complete assembly, has the same length as oem, shifting force is the same. Most other brand is just shorter lever, requires more force to shift. Tranny mount and wl bushing definitely work like soksta said.

Genuinesubaruparts.com sells the kit and tranny monut for about $500 shipped, if ur interested. Btw Inappropriate shifting with short shifter kit could damage ur tranny.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

Soksta 25-07-2014 08:04 PM

Just realised that you are in Canning Vale.
I'll have some time on Sunday if you wish to meet up some where and compare the bushings, mount, etc, before committing to anything?

Just flick me a PM and we can sort something out.

s20525xxx 25-07-2014 10:43 PM

I should be free, too. If u want compare, send me a pm.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app