Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   coolant in oil. (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/58886-coolant-oil.html)

riceman1991 30-07-2014 03:11 PM

coolant in oil.

1999 wrx. I bought in perfect running condition with a few mods, I just swapped the intercooler, turbo and manifold back to standard items. I noticed lots white smoke and, lots of brown sludge ( water / oil mixed together) throughout the intercooler and in the sump after running it for a couple mins.

I thought the turbo seals were gone, ( as i know the head gaskets etc are in good condition) so i swapped that over for another standard one, which I have previously seen working perfect.

I just put in fresh oil / filter and started filling the coolant back up (with no intercooler on) and noticed immediately that coolant is coming out of the turbo hose where it connects to the intercooler piping.

any ideas, as to where the problem lies?

Spektre 30-07-2014 03:48 PM

did you hook the wrong pipes on the turbo? oil to water, water to oil?

StephenR 30-07-2014 07:39 PM

Can you take a picture and post it up please.

StephenR 30-07-2014 07:40 PM

Can you take a picture of the top of the turbo and post it up .

riceman1991 30-07-2014 08:20 PM

ooh i hope so, everyone else has said its likely broken head gasket. But i dont see how thats possible, as before i started screwing around with it, it was driving perfectly fine.

riceman1991 30-07-2014 08:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
As i fill up the radiator with water, it starts flowing out of the turbo compressor housing, and also out of the afm housing. It also fills up the sump.

Jezza 30-07-2014 09:02 PM

Pull the turbo off. You've definitely fit it up wrong.

I hope it is your car, and not a 'cash job'....

As Spektre said, sounds like your coolant inlet or return is plumbed up to your oil return/lines.
This would enable it to come into the air intake and turbo compressor through the breather lines...

You will have effective filled the engine oil galleries with coolant... once you have plumbed it up right again you will need to give it a solid oil & coolant drain over night and then take off your sump to make sure there is no coolant pooled up in there.

You will need to give the car a whole new lot of oil, coolant, oil filter at minimum, possibly a sump gasket.

illrhymes 30-07-2014 09:22 PM

[QUOTE=riceman1991;804977]As i fill up the radiator with water, it starts flowing out of the turbo compressor housing, and also out of the afm housing. [B]It also fills up the sump.[/B][/QUOTE]
Wut? Naa man, you're somehow getting coolant into your oil return line. The line that drains back to the heads.

Rossco 30-07-2014 09:36 PM

Or the turbo core has fractured.

Jezza 30-07-2014 09:54 PM

Can you post a couple of pics from above the turbo? Ie seeing where the lines are going?

What is that braided line used for?