Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Help needed! (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/59760-help-needed.html)

Satie12 02-11-2014 12:11 PM

Help needed!

Hey all,
Yesterday I did a oil change to my 01 wrx. Drained all the old oil out, changed to a new oil filter. And put in new oil. I put in Penrite 10w-50 as I have done the last few oil changes.

I started her up an left her to idle for about a minute or so and she felt different in general. The exhaust note wasn't the same it was a lot more bellow than normal. It generally idles between 900-1000RPM it was sitting at 600rpm.
Checked for leaks and there's no visible leaks I can see.
I took it for a light drive and it just seemed to lack power and felt like it was struggling through each gear.
When I take off it doesn't sound the same not until I take my foot of the accelerating pedal and I'm just rolling it goes back to it's original exhaust note.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

I did put about 4.5L of oil in maybe a bit more as well as I put a sandwhich plate on if that makes any difference?

It does have a idling problem with the idle control valve just waiting on a new gasket for it if maybe that could be triggering the exhaust note and lack of power?

Thanks in advance!:)

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

grape juice 03-11-2014 10:29 AM

wouldn't be the gasket on the IACV else you'd have a lot of white smoke coming out your tail pipe from coolant dropping into your manifold.

If you used a different oil I'd be leaning towards that but because its the same I'm a little stumped. Could it be placebo?

RUSSGT 03-11-2014 10:44 AM

What level is the oil at on the dipstick? Didnt over fill?

AWDmoke 03-11-2014 12:11 PM

[QUOTE=Satie12;810975]I put a sandwhich plate on if that makes any difference?[/QUOTE]

Did you fit this at the same time? If so, then post pics.

Satie12 03-11-2014 10:14 PM

I think I may have over filled it a little guys, I'm gonna jack it up this weekend and take of the sandwhich plate to see if there's any difference. As for the lack of power i think my blow off valve spring is stuck open causing it to leak boost and go off in low RPM's
I'll keep you guys posted cheers 😄

Imprezive 03-11-2014 10:48 PM

Your engine should take around 4.5litres of oil so it shouldn't be over full, but check your dipstick that will tell you. Double check you haven't knocked any vacuum/boost lines causing a air leak. Changing your oil shouldn't cause any of these issues, did you do anything else to the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Satie12 04-11-2014 07:20 AM

I think I may have gone a little more than 4.5L, I'll have a good look at vacuum lines but I don't think it would be the lines as I'm still getting boost.
I only installed a sandwhich plate and wiring for 2 oil gauges apart from that I didn't do anything else.

Rslib72 04-11-2014 10:58 AM

To get a more accurate reading leave the car overnight and check your oil in the morning can take a while for the oil to filter down on these flat fours....

grape juice 04-11-2014 11:29 AM

[QUOTE=Rslib72;811108]To get a more accurate reading leave the car overnight and check your oil in the morning can take a while for the oil to filter down on these flat fours....[/QUOTE]

There is a little notch on the dipsticks about 5mm or so about the F mark. Believe this is the indication for the oil being full if its checked relatively soon after driving.

Satie12 04-11-2014 01:26 PM

I'll have a look when I get the chance guys, thanks for your help, keep u posted