Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Going Lower - suggestions! (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/60603-going-lower-suggestions.html)

nick73 04-02-2015 09:55 AM

Don't put $1k coilovers on a $50k car was the advice given to me by Wilkinsons, your call bro.

SPECRDAN 04-02-2015 10:06 AM

[QUOTE=Soksta;816135]I can't be convinced alone on side by side pictures to prove that product A is made by the manufacturers of product B.

I'm just concerned that statements are being made without any irrefutable evidence being provided to back up the claim.

I'm going to leave it here for the time being, sorry for being off topic in your thread Dan.[/QUOTE]

Not entirely off topic Soksta, if other people read the thread and decide to buy product B based on the fact they are manufactured by the same company as product A, but that isn't the case then they could maybe make a mistake and get the wrong product for their needs. Any info is a help to all the people on here (ME) that have never modded an import before. All input is valid.

SPECRDAN 04-02-2015 10:10 AM

[QUOTE=nick73;816138]Don't put $1k coilovers on a $50k car was the advice given to me by Wilkinsons, your call bro.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'll leave it sitting higher for a while, not like the OEM ones are knackered or anything haha. Too many choices out there. Bottom line is, I think I'll save up a good wedge and not cheap out.

matto20v 04-02-2015 10:52 AM

[QUOTE='Ko[R]uPt;816104']
I have STDs fitted and if I had my time again, I would go springs and shocks for street duties. Yes the car handles well beyond my capabilities, but the harshness can be testing on Perth roads at low speeds.[/QUOTE]

Can you give more info/detail into this harshness on Perth roads at low speeds please?

Ko[R]uPt 04-02-2015 10:54 AM

[QUOTE=nick73;816138]Don't put $1k coilovers on a $50k car was the advice given to me by Wilkinsons, your call bro.[/QUOTE]

^^This! My point also, in a roundabout way

[QUOTE=matto20v;816142]Can you give more info/detail into this harshness on Perth roads at low speeds please?[/QUOTE]

I will PM to avoid hijacking the thread

s20525xxx 04-02-2015 03:30 PM

[QUOTE=matto20v;816142]Can you give more info/detail into this harshness on Perth roads at low speeds please?[/QUOTE]

Im ok with my ones along with swaybar, but I run factory tyre pressure, 34 front, 30 rear. If I pump it 4psi more its a different story.

Oem spring is 5kgmm front, 4 rear (11+ sti). Kw is 7front, 5rear. Std standard ones is 8 all round, u can order 6 rear to match kw's confort level, or even 6front and 4rear to improve turnin feel and adjust camber/height while keep factory ride confort.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

JRecardo 04-02-2015 03:46 PM

Meh I have $1200 HSD coilovers with 7kg springs in my 08 hatch and quite like the feel. The ride is hard but not to the extent of it being uncomfortable, at least for me. It will be up to the individual if that kind of ride is acceptable or not really.

There's no denying the better ride/quality of some more expensive coilover options, but for me, the HSD coils have improved the stock ride (at least as far as performance feels).

SPECRDAN 04-02-2015 08:37 PM

[QUOTE=JRecardo;816192]Meh I have $1200 HSD coilovers with 7kg springs in my 08 hatch and quite like the feel. The ride is hard but not to the extent of it being uncomfortable, at least for me. It will be up to the individual if that kind of ride is acceptable or not really.

There's no denying the better ride/quality of some more expensive coilover options, but for me, the HSD coils have improved the stock ride (at least as far as performance feels).[/QUOTE]

Shame no one does a 'ride before you buy' offer haha.

SPECRDAN 04-02-2015 08:41 PM

[QUOTE=joshrx;816124]Water heating off the engine bay / exhaust due to rain? The smell makes it easier to diagnose also.[/QUOTE]

Turns out that when the car was serviced before I bought it about 3 months ago, they used a wrench to tighten the oil filter and put a tiny hole in it. Whist driving the oil was slowly leaking out and hey presto....it pretty much ran out. Hence the smoke yesterday and today. New filter and 5ltrs of oil later from STechnic and I'm all good again. No rattles on start up so he's fairly confident there's no damage.

Soksta 04-02-2015 08:43 PM

[QUOTE=JRecardo;816192]Meh I have $1200 HSD coilovers with 7kg springs in my 08 hatch and quite like the feel. The ride is hard but not to the extent of it being uncomfortable, at least for me. It will be up to the individual if that kind of ride is acceptable or not really.[/QUOTE]

I also had the same coilovers in my old car (MY08 WRX) and they were not bad for the price.
The only issues that I had with them was the dampening wasn't what I was expecting, the adjustments were a pain to find the sweet spot and the amount of noise that was being created in the top hats at the front.

[QUOTE=SPECRDAN;816227]Turns out that when the car was serviced before I bought it about 3 months ago, they used a wrench to tighten the oil filter and put a tiny hole in it.[/QUOTE]
Who was responsible for the last service?
Was it a Subaru Dealership?