Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Captain Awesome

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2015, 01:59 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Captain Awesome at standard level
Default OBD port still receiving power after car switched off?

Hi guys,

As some might know I recently bought a GR STI.
Have noticed something funny, when using my old MFD from the Evo (Blitz Touch B.R.A.I.N) it still keeps getting power after the car is turned off, and key taken out / locked. Obviously I couldn't stand there all day waiting to see, but I waited for a good 15 mins and it was still on. Naturally this will drain my battery so I can't use the prick of a thing, any ideas?

In the meantime i'm just unplugging / replugging it every time I get in and out of the car, but not only is that a pain, every time i'm at a shopping centre I have old ladies giving me that "Oh fuck, oh fuck" look, quickly clutch their bags tightly and power walk their shit away from me, I'm white, so I can only assume they think I'm hotwiring my own car.

Previous:
2012 Evo X - White
Parts: HKS | SSP | GARRETT | TURBOSMART | ARC | COLTSPEED | BLITZ | CAMTECH | VARIS | VOLK | CUSCO | TIEN | FORGE | FULL RACE

Last edited by Captain Awesome; 08-02-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:11 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

The ECUDatascan used to do this as well, it appeared to be normal operation.
Ended up removing it when the car was being driven during the week but in the end just opened up the unit and put a small switch on the enclosure that allowed me to turn it off during periods of inactivity.

You could do something similar and place the switch on the panel where the mirror adjustment knobs are.

Worked nicely until the unit ended up failing and I binned it...
Old 08-02-2015, 02:16 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soksta View Post
The ECUDatascan used to do this as well, it appeared to be normal operation.
Ended up removing it when the car was being driven during the week but in the end just opened up the unit and put a small switch on the enclosure that allowed me to turn it off during periods of inactivity.

You could do something similar and place the switch on the panel where the mirror adjustment knobs are.

Worked nicely until the unit ended up failing and I binned it...
Fancy that, I have a datascan laying around somewhere too. Any clue as to why it does this with the STI but not my old Evo? :/
Switch sounds like not a bad way to go if I can't find any other solution, thanks! What did you do, just splice it into the main power cable?

Previous:
2012 Evo X - White
Parts: HKS | SSP | GARRETT | TURBOSMART | ARC | COLTSPEED | BLITZ | CAMTECH | VARIS | VOLK | CUSCO | TIEN | FORGE | FULL RACE
Old 08-02-2015, 03:02 PM
STI Master

baylee at standard level

Just for reference. My 08 also stays alight. So interested In Switch reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2015, 03:04 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Fancy that, I have a datascan laying around somewhere too. Any clue as to why it does this with the STI but not my old Evo? :/
Switch sounds like not a bad way to go if I can't find any other solution, thanks! What did you do, just splice it into the main power cable?
Found a site that gave the schematic diagram for the pin outs of the OBD-II standard.
Then I popped the plug out of the metal frame under the steering wheel so that I could pull it down a bit, plugged in the ecudatascan supplied cable and using a multimeter found the vcc/supply to the unit (also cross referenced this to the schematic for accuracy).
Then it was a case of cutting the leg that connects the PCB to the connector and then soldering 2 lengths of wire onto it and then the switch was soldered on.

All up it shouldn't take more than 30 to 60 minutes to do all of that if you have the tools, don't forget to use heatshrink to protect from any shorting, last thing you want to do is short or blow fuses...

Last edited by Soksta; 08-02-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:21 PM
STI Master

s20525xxx knows their stuff

My blitz touch brain is wired to ignition, so stays off when car is off. But elm327 is always on, not to the extent would drain the battery, even after parked in for three months?

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

Update from new owner: 375whp at 1.4bar on 98, at Tokyo Motorsport

Last edited by s20525xxx; 08-02-2015 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:39 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soksta View Post
Found a site that gave the schematic diagram for the pin outs of the OBD-II standard.
Then I popped the plug out of the metal frame under the steering wheel so that I could pull it down a bit, plugged in the ecudatascan supplied cable and using a multimeter found the vcc/supply to the unit (also cross referenced this to the schematic for accuracy).
Then it was a case of cutting the leg that connects the PCB to the connector and then soldering 2 lengths of wire onto it and then the switch was soldered on.

All up it shouldn't take more than 30 to 60 minutes to do all of that if you have the tools, don't forget to use heatshrink to protect from any shorting, last thing you want to do is short or blow fuses...
Thanks Soksta, did an auto electric fittings course in my teen years so might give it a go myself. Though I am pretty shit at it, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s20525xxx View Post
My blitz touch brain is wired to ignition, so stays off when car is off. But elm327 is always on, not to the extent would drain the battery, even after parked in for three months?

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
Yeah, this was my other train of thought - getting it hardwired, might have a chat to Mao next week see how much it'll set me back. ELM doesn't have a display or anything does it? I'd think the blitz unit would drain the battery if left for a couple days - a week, but not 100% sure and don't want to test it
s20525xxx likes this.

Previous:
2012 Evo X - White

Last edited by Captain Awesome; 08-02-2015 at 03:40 PM.

Tags
car, obd, port, power, receiving, switched