Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2015, 11:38 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Viper76 at standard level
Default Freshen up

Hey guys,

I'm pulling the engine out of my 99 GC8 next week to fix the right hand cylinder head.

While it's out i'll also do timing belt and rear crank seal and more than likely freshen up the left hand head and find a good 2nd hand head for the right and freshen that up with some new parts too. See how the valves etc are when I open mine up before deciding which path to take.

While it's out should I do some other basic things? Bolt ons like power steering, aircon, alternator I was going to leave as they can be changed easily with the engine in. Looking for for things that are 10X easier to do while engine is out.

Engine has 200K on the clock. This is my daily runabout so cams, worked heads are not on the radar

any thoughts or ideas?
Old 24-03-2015, 06:34 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Update

Took the engine out last weekend. Today I took the intake off, marked all the leads, turbo off, alternator, plugged all the holes ready for a degrease tomorrow night.

Also ordered engine seal and gasket kit, thermostat, timing belt kit and a water pump.

Tomorrow I will see if they do a hose kit as pretty much all the hoses need replacing. I'll take the heads off and work out if I need some replacements or whether mine can be fixed up.

I have to say I'm glad I'm doing this myself. Had help from a couple guys from here who I will thank personally and dean from maximum Motorsport. Those guys have been good to me since I got this car and their service and customer skills and second to none!! If any of those boys are on here you're awesome!

Looking forward to getting it back together and looking sweet in the next week or so.
Patch, dnbosiris and amtrapid like this.
Old 24-03-2015, 08:12 PM
STI Master

dnbosiris at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper76 View Post
Update

Took the engine out last weekend. Today I took the intake off, marked all the leads, turbo off, alternator, plugged all the holes ready for a degrease tomorrow night.

Also ordered engine seal and gasket kit, thermostat, timing belt kit and a water pump.

Tomorrow I will see if they do a hose kit as pretty much all the hoses need replacing. I'll take the heads off and work out if I need some replacements or whether mine can be fixed up.

I have to say I'm glad I'm doing this myself. Had help from a couple guys from here who I will thank personally and dean from maximum Motorsport. Those guys have been good to me since I got this car and their service and customer skills and second to none!! If any of those boys are on here you're awesome!

Looking forward to getting it back together and looking sweet in the next week or so.
Well done mate. The experience you gain from doing this all yourself is invaluable. Keep the posts coming. :thumbup:
Viper76 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to dnbosiris For This Useful Post:
Viper76 (24-03-2015)
Old 25-03-2015, 10:26 AM
STI Master

dnbosiris at standard level

You're probably doing this already but consider replacing as many of the oem spring clamps with tridant worm drive ones. This is one thing I didn't do and a few started leaking. In particular the coolant lines to and from the turbo.
Viper76 likes this.
Old 25-03-2015, 11:27 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

yeah doing all of the hoses and clamps now.
dnbosiris likes this.
Old 25-03-2015, 02:11 PM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

A brand new EJ207 block, pre-assembled by Subaru, with forged pistons, is only about $2500. Just sayin'...
Viper76 likes this.
Old 25-03-2015, 02:47 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

yeah did toss up on that option as well
Old 26-03-2015, 08:24 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Well I have caught a break. $100 to repair my cylinder head proper and remove the araldite holding it together.

Checked the liners and they look awesome, heads are in great shape so looks like the engine is in good condition which is a bonus.

Timing belt was near new but hadn't changed the pulley bearings so I'll change those and see if I can't offload the brand new belt I just purchased.

Now the fun begins. Wait for heads, change out all gaskets and seals and start to put it back together
Insome, Patch and dnbosiris like this.
Old 27-03-2015, 07:56 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

joshrx at standard level

That is good news on the head repair!

If you have a fresh timing belt may as well install it. Perhaps the head gaskets also since they are off anyway?

Diy all done in one hit you'll save a fortune in future costs

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
Old 27-03-2015, 08:32 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

I've ordered a complete engine seal and gasket kit to do every item I can, timing belt and bearings while its out and water pump. Next time it comes out is if the bottom end goes and an EJ207 is getting strapped in
dnbosiris and joshrx like this.

Tags
freshen