Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-05-2015, 06:23 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

The genome defis are gonna be like 10+ years old now. No surprises there.
Old 29-05-2015, 07:43 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Nikt3ndo at standard level

Sorry to go off topic in the topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick73 View Post
Do you know anyone else with a gauge to test it? Did you do the re-calibration yet?
Did the recal, but it was more the finding the zero point which it does.

The car is a 2006 wrx.

Orginal tune (TBE exhaust, TMIC and CAI) @ Evo-R. Tuned at 1.2bar. Defi gauge read 1.2bar

Recent tune (VF48 turbo, fuel pump, Headers and Ecutek tune) @ Race Torque. Tuned at 1.3bar (not shown on dyno graph but verbally told), Defi gauge reads 1.5bar.

Gauge is a Defi Advance BF w/control unit 2

I have read some people having inaccurate readings. If thats the case then the pricetag is digusting. I want to believe the tuner but feel like asking for a readout showing the boost figures as the gauge was accurate initially. But feel like that might be rude in not trusting. just really don't want the car to be running that high
Old 29-05-2015, 07:54 PM
STI Master

dnbosiris at standard level

1.5 bar is not that high for your setup man, it's likely only there for a second then tapers down. I doubt race torque would leave you with an unsafe tune.

Last edited by dnbosiris; 29-05-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 29-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Nikt3ndo at standard level

It does hit 1.5bar and then slowly drop back to 1.3. I was under the impression that over 1.3bar for a wrx without forgies is dangerous ground

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
Old 29-05-2015, 08:52 PM
STI Master

dnbosiris at standard level

Those levels of boost alone arnt going to bring down an engine. As long as the afr, timing etc are set safe by the tuner, then 21psi of boost is ok. Though I don't know much about the internals of a ej255.Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 29-05-2015, 09:58 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Just ask Lane for a full dyno plot, he should have given you one to begin with.
Old 30-05-2015, 12:02 AM
Sir AntiLag

dazdavies knows their stuff

You're worrying over nothing. It's because ambient temps are colder and thus a colder more denser charge = slightly more boost. It will be within the parameters of the tune.

An additional 0.2 bar is not going to wreck your engine. Your air flow meter will see to that, as will the map sensor too. I'm sure if it was an issue you'd be hitting boost cut long before there's any danger of damaging the engine.

Even new Defis are known to over read too. So just enjoy the small amount of extra power you have until it starts warming up again.
dnbosiris likes this.
Old 30-05-2015, 06:16 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Tony knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikt3ndo View Post
Sorry to go off topic in the topic

Did the recal, but it was more the finding the zero point which it does.

The car is a 2006 wrx.

Orginal tune (TBE exhaust, TMIC and CAI) @ Evo-R. Tuned at 1.2bar. Defi gauge read 1.2bar

Recent tune (VF48 turbo, fuel pump, Headers and Ecutek tune) @ Race Torque. Tuned at 1.3bar (not shown on dyno graph but verbally told), Defi gauge reads 1.5bar.

Gauge is a Defi Advance BF w/control unit 2

I have read some people having inaccurate readings. If thats the case then the pricetag is digusting. I want to believe the tuner but feel like asking for a readout showing the boost figures as the gauge was accurate initially. But feel like that might be rude in not trusting. just really don't want the car to be running that high
I guess you didnt read my post further up. Ring up ASG and ask for a dyno plot with boost and AFR's on top of the standard power and torque plot. Its not rude, you paid for the tune so you are entitled to ask for the manifold pressure readings to make sure they are what you asked for.

Simon: ej255 and ej257 have identical internals, only difference between the 2 are the compression ratios of the pistons

Last edited by Tony; 30-05-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old 30-05-2015, 07:42 AM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Nick, here is my last tune with Lane. You can see the overshoot at the start of peak boost, it's pretty normal mate nothing to be concerned about.

Just ask Lane for the full dyno sheet, he wont be offended.

http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/819617-post133.html
Old 30-05-2015, 08:41 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ999 View Post
The OEM Subaru MAP sensor is good for 2-3bar depending on model/year. By the way who tuned your car?
Going off topic here again. (sorry) But, Just a follow up with my 18odd PSI limit on the forester XT. Here is a screen shot of a data log showing the boost capped at 18.4275 PSI. The log was recorded via a Tactrix. But you get the same results when using a ODB2 reader etc. The boost does physically exceed that. Sits somewhere around 22psi (1.5bar). Yet my ECU only ever reads that when queried via the OBD2 port. Perhaps the ECU/sensor can see more, but is not able to show more when queried via the diagnostic port?

When originally tuned, I did have to go back for more revisions to get boost control fully dialed in. Im guessing that if my set boost exceeds the limit of what the ECU can see, then the boost control tables must be all kinda set up as an 'open loop' controlling. Not as a closed loop?

My boost, when set at 'wastegate actuator pressure' is at about 18-19psi, due to the heavy duty actuator on the turbo. I have a 3 port on there to just get a bit more out of it.

Tags
defi, gauge, inaccurate