Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Replacing Timing Belts Age Vs Kilometers (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/62124-replacing-timing-belts-age-vs-kilometers.html)

seagull 05-07-2015 05:57 PM

It's was a marketing move from subaru to push the service interval out for the belt change.

Pimpreza 06-07-2015 05:06 AM

Probably time to change mine then, it's done less than 80k but it's well over 10yrs old, and all the pulleys are original and up around the 140k mark, then again so is my brake fluid and the 2nd hand rear pads that came with the cut when I bought it about 11yrs ago

seagull 06-07-2015 06:23 AM

Your the slackest cunt in the entire world Tom

I vote you to run the claimed 10 second hawk eye with your shit box. I do the timing belt for you. Have you changed the oil in the last 5 years ?

SolarFilms 06-07-2015 04:15 PM

Doug says leave it for another year

Blue star said to Ozzie park should have done it by now and advise to change it

Ozzie park Subaru said they can have look tomorrow during my service.

Let you guys know tomorrow..

mixed feelings now

dnbosiris 06-07-2015 04:56 PM

I'd listen to Doug over a Subaru dealership any day of the week.

Pimpreza 06-07-2015 05:41 PM

[QUOTE=seagull;826079]Your the slackest cunt in the entire world Tom

I vote you to run the claimed 10 second hawk eye with your shit box. I do the timing belt for you. Have you changed the oil in the last 5 years ?[/QUOTE]

I think Doug changed it about 4 - 5yrs ago when he put a new clutch in it. Come down for a weekend, got workshop :D

Tony 06-07-2015 08:39 PM

I also asked Doug the same question with my sti when i first got it. As far as im aware it has the original timing belt and has only just done 50xxxkms but is 8yrs old now. Gave me the same sort of answer but said it wouldnt hurt to replace it. Completely forgot until now. Have just ordered a gates racing kit with water pump.

SolarFilms 06-07-2015 09:03 PM

Least you're prepared im probily doing mine at end of year and mines only 6 years old those kevlars belts from what im hearing you probably wont have to change them ever only the tensioners. im putting together my rhd order next month or so.

Doug mentioned its a peace of mind thing.

Im also getting lightweight pulley when I get the work done
using the Perth-WRX mobile app

expat1945 06-07-2015 10:34 PM

My 1999 WRX still has the same timing belt , although only 67,000 km's.
But everything I read is making me nervous.
Will change at Christmas.
Trouble is car is garaged for 11 months of the year , hence the low km's.

SolarFilms 06-07-2015 11:30 PM

[QUOTE=expat1945;826189]My 1999 WRX still has the same timing belt , although only 67,000 km's.
But everything I read is making me nervous.
Will change at Christmas.
Trouble is car is garaged for 11 months of the year , hence the low km's.[/QUOTE]

I mean there's many cars who are lucky enough to never have any problems however its not ideal you dont want to be one person who snaps their belt. Not a mechanic/engineer myself so I cant give an honest answer about rubbers durability/life espically a timing belt .

Treat her right she will always treat you right.

Also check them fluids oil, fuel etc can go bad just from staying in engine.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app