Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wildslide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-08-2015, 02:18 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Wildslide at standard level
Default 95 gc8 jerking under boost

Hi all. I just started having an issue with my 95 wrx. Its been chipped and running a td05 turbo has a 3 inch cat back other than that its stock. Under load it has started jerking. It doesnt happen at the same revs or speeds. But it only happens under boost. Its a complete loss of power like the ignition has been turned off. It only hapens for a second then comes back. Sometimes it does it repeatedly other times only once or twice.The tacho doesnt react andno check engine light. If I'm just drivung normally around town it doesnt do it at all. Just when the throttle is wide open and coming on boost. I replaced the fuel filter and gace it a good squirt of decarbonizer and it seemed to help. But its still doing it. I've gone over all the vacuum hoses. I've even disconected the factory solenoid and put in a boost t. Running lower boost than the tune has been has also seemed to make a difference. I'm thinking that the fuel pump may not be delivering enough pressure. But as I know next to nothing about turbos. WRXs, in particular. I thought Id see if anyone else has had this issue.
using the Perth-WRX mobile app
Old 27-08-2015, 03:00 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

AFM... this happened to me once also.

Also worth checking spark plugs and leads.
Old 27-08-2015, 04:02 PM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

I also think its AFM. Try cleaning it with some cleaner, and if it fixes it, invest in a new AFM as cleaning it seems to be only a short term problem and the problem is likely to return.

I only skimmed over your post, but have you tried resetting the ECU? Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes or so is the easiest way.
Old 27-08-2015, 04:35 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Ill get some afm cleaner tomorrow. Did have some but as with alot of things I have no idea where I put it or if I used it up. Haven't reset the ecu yet. Plugs should be fun I have to do the rocker gaskets anyway. Its still got individual coil packs. Have the bits to do the conversion just havent got around to it yet. Probably do it at the same time as gaskets. Put in new plugs at the same time.

Old 28-08-2015, 02:39 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Well cleaning the afm didn't work. It did need cleaning but its not what is causing the problem. I'm starting to.think one of the coil packs is breaking down. So I guess I'll pull them and have a look.

Old 28-08-2015, 04:24 PM
Sir AntiLag

Insome at standard level

Plugs and leads. This was the problem with a GC8 I had ages ago. Changed the plugs and leads and no more problems.
Old 28-08-2015, 04:29 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Going to put in new plugs and add leads. Its got a coilpack for every plug. I have a coil pack the same as my 96 had. So I hope the conversion isn't to much of a hassle just wanting to sell this car at the moment and concentrate on my 2000. It doesn't play up at all on 3/4 throttle. Its driving me a bit nuts. As it didn't play up at all until someone came to take it for a test drive. I felt like such a dodgy salesman saying "its never done that before".

Old 31-08-2015, 10:05 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Went over all the vacuum hoses going to the boost sensor. Found 2 that were a bit loose and the line to the wastegate looked perished. Fixed the leaks. Replaced the wastegate actuator hose with some new fuel hose. And BINGO. Goes hard again. Haha only took days n days of it doing my head in.

AWDmoke likes this.

Tags
95, boost, gc8, jerking